floor thickness and floor heat

Old 10-27-08, 09:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
floor thickness and floor heat

I am getting ready to tile the master batroom floor. the room has been gutted to the studs and the 3/4 inch subfloor. First, to set the prefab fiberglass shower, is it ok to go right on the sub floor?
Next can i use 1/4 inch cement board on the floor as the electric heat will add some depth to the floor as well ? Or do I need to use 1/2 inch cement board?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-08, 07:21 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
First, to set the prefab fiberglass shower, is it ok to go right on the sub floor?
Yes. make sure you read the installation instructions for installing the fiberglass shower and follow them to a T.

Next can i use 1/4 inch cement board on the floor as the electric heat will add some depth to the floor as well ? Or do I need to use 1/2 inch cement board?
The fast answer is yes, 1/4" is ok. What kind of tile will you be installing, ceramic or natural stone?

Old 10-28-08, 09:01 PM
Thanks for helping! I plan to set the shower base in a bed of mortar mix to provide a firm base, is this a good idea?

The tile i will use has not been decided on yet but will probably be a large ceramic tile. One more question is this electric floor heat a good thing or a nice little novelity?

Old 10-29-08, 12:49 PM
Thanks for helping! I plan to set the shower base in a bed of mortar mix to provide a firm base, is this a good idea?
Probably. What do the manufacturers installation instructions say?

One more question is this electric floor heat a good thing or a nice little novelity?
Electric heat mats are a nice touch. They are added heat for comfort. They do not replace the source of heat you have there now, only compliment it. Most folks that have it like it, in my experience.

The tile i will use has not been decided on yet but will probably be a large ceramic tile.
You will be ok with 3/4" plywood and 1/4" cement board if you go with ceramic tile. Make sure you follow the manufacturers instructions for installing the cement board. If you decide to go with the heat mats, there is a better way to do this than cement board.

Good Luck

Keep asking questions if you arent sure of the answers.

Old 10-30-08, 10:37 PM
thanks for the help. Is ther a prefered brand of floor heat [electric]?

Old 10-31-08, 07:14 AM
I like the "Warmly Yours" mats, but I'm not aware of any problems with others out there.