vinyl tile on hardiebacker floor?

Old 10-29-08, 10:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question vinyl tile on hardiebacker floor?

Hi forum,
Can i put vinyl tile on hardiebacker board underlayment? I havent heard of anyone doing this, but I want a floor that can withstand water from bathroom. If so, what is the best method (i.e. latex vinyl tile primer)? If not, any suggestions for a flooring that can go on hardiebacker other than tile (I dont think the floor is stable enough for tile)?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-08, 12:54 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Can i put vinyl tile on hardiebacker board underlayment?
I dont see any reason why not, but then again Im not a vinyl installer. Maybe you should ask at the appropriate forum. I think there is one here for vinyl floors.

I dont think the floor is stable enough for tile
Why not? What do you currently have there?

Old 10-29-08, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator
I'm not any sort of flooring guy, but to clarify...
Do you mean peel and stick vinyl tiles, VCT, or sheet vinyl?

Peel and stick would not be a good choice directly to Hardi I wouldn't think.

VCT maybe, since it's much thicker and glued down.

Sheet vinyl would show any seams in the underlayment, unless they were filled and leveled.

JMO

Old 10-29-08, 02:12 PM
unless they were filled and leveled.
I think you would have to do this for any vinyl flooring product.

Old 10-29-08, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator
Yepper Johnny, thats true...I prob didn't say it well. And who knows what the OP knows.
Also would depend on which surface is up? Hardi has a grid on one side, right? I know it's not that deep, but over time I would think that would show as well?

Old 10-29-08, 02:20 PM
Gunguy

Now you have me thinking.

He couldnt use the 1/4" hardi with the ez grid now could he. That would be a disaster.

Old 10-29-08, 02:30 PM
thanks for replying. i dont have those grids its a relatively smooth surface. I set the boards in thinset and filled taped edges so they are pretty much flat.

I have bought peel and stick, but I can return. I was going to coat boards with latex primer (a few coats) and then put peel and stick on. You guys think this is bad?

Old 10-29-08, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
I think you need to expound more on why you don't think tile would work. Its a little more initial labor for us newbies, but the results can last for years, even with less than best quality tile. And it can look 100X better than vinyl.

I just think the Hardi (even with primer) might not be the best surface for peel and stick...not that I know for sure, just a gut thing. I guess its because of the thickness of the adhesive layer, and the fact that I did about 400 sf of that stuff (on a glassy primed concrete slab) to get the old house ready for sale. Even after 6 months I wasn't happy with it, in a non-wet environment.

I'd rather put down sheet than peel and stick, in a small area. More work (although less strain on the back), but the results are worth it. And its much more water resistant as long as the edges are sealed and the surface is undamaged.

Again...JMO.

EDIT: Didn't even think to ask, what does the Hardi site say?

Last edited by Gunguy45; 10-29-08 at 02:46 PM. Reason: question
Old 10-29-08, 02:48 PM
thanks gunguy45. i am worried floor flexes and tile mortar will break. thats why i wanted to go with vinyl, because it think it is a little more resistant to flexion.
Vinyl sheet may be a better substitute. I like that idea. The only problem is, I have seen nice peel and stick that look like tile, but havent seen sheets that ook as good. oh well. may have to go down that road.
Do you think 3/4 solid old pine subfloor, 1/4 plywood, thinset, 1/2 hardiebacker sandwhich would hold tile?

Old 10-29-08, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator
Ohhh man are you askin the wrong guy! I put tile over 5/8 ply and 1/2 Durock...so that tells you how much I knew back then....someone elses problem now TG.....lol. Johnny or one of the other tile Pro's can give you better answers.

Old 10-29-08, 04:20 PM
No, what you have now will not work for ceramic tile. Unless you are willing to take up the hardi and 1/4" plywood and start over, you'll need to consider vinyl or something else. Go to the vinyl floor forum here and see what they suggest.

I put tile over 5/8 ply and 1/2 Durock...so that tells you how much I knew back then....someone elses problem now TG
Gunguy. I think I helped the guy who bought your house here last week. Check out the thread titled "If I get my hands on the guy that did this I'll #$%$#&%$"

Old 10-29-08, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Johnny..they got me for $30K at closing because of my situation...they get what they deserve...lol.

But that was in VA...do you travel that far?

Old 10-30-08, 07:07 AM
they got me for $30K at closing because of my situation...they get what they deserve...lol.
Ouch, you may be your are right, they got what they deserved.

Va, maybe Va beach for vacation but not for work.