New shower Tile over existing drywall...

Old 10-30-08, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New shower Tile over existing drywall...

I used to have tile in my shower that stopped a few feet from my ceiling, so the durock boards stopped where my tile stopped. If I want to re-teil to the ceiling, can I re-tile over the drywall once I get to the point on the wall or is it reccommended to do durock all the way to the top?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-08, 01:02 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just so I understand. It sounds like you removed the old tile from the cement board, and now you want to install new tile. Is that the case? Is this in the shower area, or outside the shower? How high up the wall does the cement board end and drywall start?

Old 10-30-08, 01:36 PM
You got it right. This is inside the shower area. The cement board goes as high as the existing tile went, which was well above my head level. There is probably about 1.5 feet - 2 feet above that point to the ceiling. The existing durock is in good condition so the setter said he could re-use it as is and no need for re-installing. If I were to have him go to the ceiling (beyond the existing cement board), could that be done over the existing dry wall above the cement board?

Old 10-30-08, 01:51 PM
If the existing drywall is above the shower head and will not be getting direct spray from the shower then this should be no problem. Do you know if there is a vapor barrier behind the existing cement board and drywall? If not, you may want to waterproof the surface of the cement board before you tile.

Old 10-30-08, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the replies! What does water proffing the cement board consist of - how would that be done?

Old 10-30-08, 04:27 PM
Paint on trowel on type membrane. Do a google search for Custom Building Products Redgard. There are others as well. If you have a vapor barrier behind the board then you dont need this. If you dont have a vapor barrier you should consider doing this.

Old 10-31-08, 08:05 AM
Is there an easy way to determine if there is a vapor wall behind the cement boards without taking them down? If i cannot determine that and just apply the membrane over the cement board as is, shouldn't hurt even there was a vapor barrier back there, correct? Also, since we are using the existing cement board that is up from the old tile, is it cool to apply Redguard over what remains from setting the old tile - it's a rough surface, but its mainly flush and level.

Old 10-31-08, 08:12 AM
You could cut a small hole in the wall from the back side, perhaps a closet to see if there is a vapor barrier behind the cement board.

If you have a vapor barrier, then you dont want to use the surface applied membrane.

Old 10-31-08, 08:32 AM
And is only 1 coat good enough? Would 1 gallon cover a standard size shower enclosure?

Old 10-31-08, 08:40 AM
For your application, one good coat should be sufficient. One gallon will do the job. Did you make sure you dont have a vapor barrier behinde the cement board? Just use one or the other not both.

Old 11-01-08, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by duffeymt View Post
Is there an easy way to determine if there is a vapor wall behind the cement boards without taking them down?
If there is a vapor barrier you can usually see it where the valves penetrate the wall or enlarge the hole a little bit to evaluate things.