Removing Vinyl Flooring From Terazzo

Old 11-03-08, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Vinyl Flooring From Terazzo

I have been trying to remove a sheet vinyl floor that was laid on top of terazzo. I have been able to pull the vinyl up, but I cannot get the glue off of the terazzo. I have tried scraping and heat guns. Scraping didn't work. The heat gun worked somewhat, but I would be there for a year trying to remove it all using that method. Is there a better way to remove the glue? I will be putting down a porcelain floor and would also like to know what other prep work I need to do to the terazzo before I put the porcelain down. Any help is appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-08, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Chemical removal is not a good thing because some residue can be left that will inhibit the bond of the thinset to the old floor. Very hot water poured on the floor , left to soak into the glue a few minutes and then use a 4" wallpaper scraper to get the the glue from the floor. The more you can get up the better the bond of the tile will be. When setting the tile use a high grade modified thinset. Check the thinset to make sure it is one that can go over old floor adhesive, sometimes known as "cutback". The more that can be removed, the easier your tile setting will be. Dont worry about old glue stains that have seeped into the old floor, that wont come up but its not a problem.