Ceramic tile on a basement floor

Old 11-11-08, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile on a basement floor

I'm beginning to remodel my basement and I'd like to use ceramic tile on the floor. Living in Wis. I'm wondering how cold the floor will be during the winter months. Is there any type of underlayment that could be used as an insulation barrier between the concrete and the tile? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-08, 01:42 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
For starters, you need to make sure that the temperature in your basement is at least 50 degrees, 48 to 72 hours before and after you set the tile. Once the tile is set and the mortar is cured, if it gets colder, that generally will not be a problem.

What kind of shape is the slab in? Are there any cracks, if so describe them? The slab must be free of sealers, paints and anything else that could affect thinset bond. Generally if the slab will absorb water you are ok. How large will the tiled area be? Are there currently any control joints or movement joints in the slab?

Old 11-13-08, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
For starters, you need to make sure that the temperature in your basement is at least 50 degrees, 48 to 72 hours before and after you set the tile. Once the tile is set and the mortar is cured, if it gets colder, that generally will not be a problem.

What kind of shape is the slab in? Are there any cracks, if so describe them? The slab must be free of sealers, paints and anything else that could affect thinset bond. Generally if the slab will absorb water you are ok. How large will the tiled area be? Are there currently any control joints or movement joints in the slab?
Johnny,
Thanks for your questions...
I haven't pulled the carpet as of yet because I'm just starting the project. I started in a smaller area and will install Pergo or a similar laminate flooring in that area. I hope to complete "Phase 1" within a couple weeks and will then move onto the remainder of the basement.

The basement is finished and carpeted at this point. My project involves remodeling and upgrading the finished state of the area. Overall the area is probably approx. 200 sq. ft. I can only assume at this point that the slab is in good condition because I've never had any problems in the basement. I don't believe there is any paint or sealers on the floor. If there are, what would I use to remove them and clean the floor? Thanks for your reply and I look forward to hearing from you again.