What would you charge to lay ceramic tile?

Old 11-23-08, 08:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What would you charge to lay ceramic tile?

A friend of my wife wants me to lay ceramic tile in the hallway and kitchen, whats a good price per tile to charge. I will have to lay cement board and grout., but just want a ball park figure what to charge. thanx.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-08, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Depends on region, but if you have to lay the backboard, tile & grout, I would charge $10+ sqft. Also, you should not be asking for professional install prices if you are not a tile setter by trade.

Old 11-23-08, 08:53 AM
no, im not a tile setter by trade, basically doing a favor for a friend, but you would charge $10 sq ft if you were a trades man? i live in ONT, CAN

Old 11-23-08, 09:42 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Alot depends on the size of tile, if any prep work needs to be done to the subfloor, etc.

But, I would charge $10+ sqft if all those conditions were good and just laying some 12x12 ceramic. That would include laying the backboard, etc.

Old 11-24-08, 07:49 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Dashman

Any answer to your question is totally a guess, as you havent provided any information at all about the installation. Id say somewheres between $5 per foot and $50 per foot depending on the answers to all the missing information.

Old 11-24-08, 07:58 AM
the job is to install the cement board, tile and grout, no demolition just straight installation.

Old 11-24-08, 08:35 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Dashman

This is a do it yourself forum. As such, the idea here is to help diyers do something themselves. Some questions for you.

What kind of tile will you be installing, ceramic or natural stone? What size tile? Have you determined that the framing meets deflection standards and will support natural stone or ceramic tile? What do you have for a subfloor, how thick and how many layers?

Since you will be charging for your sevices, I assume you have the necessary expertise, yes? You are aware that cement board needs to be bedded in fresh thinset and mechanically fastened with screws, that the seams have to be mudded and tapped (special tape), that you have to leave room for movement. What setting material will you be using to bond the tile to the cement board underlayment.

What about a warranty, professionals give warranties? How about insurance in case something goes wrong on the job?

Old 11-24-08, 01:58 PM
ceramic tile, 12" by 12", im just going in there and doing as a favour, because he doesnt know how to do it, sub floor will hold the weight, im just looking at a fair price to do it.

Old 11-24-08, 06:41 PM
Figure out how many days it will take to complete the job, figure out what you want to get for a day rate of labor and go from there. As HJ said, there are many variables and we dont know all what you will be doing so going for a daily rate is the easiest way to cover yourself and not overcharge if you think that may happen.