toilet hole in large tile ?

Old 12-14-08, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
toilet hole in large tile ?

i now wish i had asked this sooner, but i didn't know.
anyway
how do you cut the toilet hole in large tiles ? mine are 18".
my tiles are down. but boy, the hole was a pita !

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-08, 11:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What kind of wet saw do you have?

I plunge cut the tile with a wet saw or I use my angle grinder. Works like a charm.

Old 12-14-08, 08:01 PM
thanx, Mark

ahh, i wish i had one of those pro type saws. and i kinda could have, HD had a ryobi of the moving table style for $150. but it was large, and in a condo, storage is an issue. i bought the Husky 7" table saw, $159. it has good power. and as long as the table is clean, its cuts nice. but i wouldn't want to plunge cut with it. i have a blade for a grinder, wish i would have thought of that. messy, but i could have done it outside.

i made my outline. the hole was actually between 2 tiles. i then made a bunch of cuts and then broke out the "fingers" i made. the problem with that = the finger method likes to leave "steps". and cutting these out is kinda a pita.

Old 12-15-08, 07:05 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
What you did is typically what would be done when the hole is between 2 tiles. You can clean up the cuts by running the length of the cutout along the blade. Its going under the toilet so it doesnt have to be perfect.

Old 12-15-08, 07:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
And remember you can cut the hole "square" instead of round. Like Johnny said, it's under the crapper, who'll see it?

Old 12-15-08, 08:18 PM
yeah. he hole is under the crapper. and the front of the hole can be cut square. thats what i did on the second tile (broke the first). BUT, the rear of the hole needs be rounded. as the crapper tappers back kinda close to the flange.

i think the main problem i had, was that i had the saw setting on the floor. and i had to really scrunch down to see the cut. that position can be really fatiguing

Old 12-18-08, 08:05 AM
If you have an angle grinder, they make a small 4" diamond blade to fit the arbor in it.

Set the tile flat and freehand the cut with the angle grinder, dry cutting the tile, in a circle.