Small outdoor porch - Brick veneer over concrete slab

Old 12-18-08, 02:29 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Small outdoor porch - Brick veneer over concrete slab

Hello,

I'm planning to cover our small front porch (6X4) with 1/2 thick Brick Veneer. The base is a concrete slab in very good condition. We live in the South so weather other than rain is not an issue. My questions is, what adhesive do I use to fasten the brick to the slab and can the same adhesive be used for the 1/2 joints between the bricks?

Thanks for your advice.
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-08, 03:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would use a good modified thinset, like Flexbond from HD or similar. Some people say to use Mortar mix, but for veneer, I don't think it would matter. I would use a grout bag to fill the joints.

Hang in there, and lets see if we get more responses.

Old 12-18-08, 04:48 PM
M
to HotinOKC - Thanks for your reponse. I 've heard of Flexbond at the HD so I will use this to adhere the brick veneer to the slab.

Can this material also be used as the grout between the bricks? I saw a job where the brick grout looked like concrete.

Also, I assume I use an 1/2 inch trowel?

Thanks you advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike P

Old 12-18-08, 06:17 PM
No, wouldn't use the flexbond as a grout.

If you want the tradition brick and mortar look, you could use mortar mix for everything and not use thinset.

1/2" trowel is good and backbutter the tiles too.

Old 01-09-09, 01:23 PM
M
Brick Veneer over a Concrete Slab

I took your advice and used modified thinset for the bricks on my sample board. This worked out very well. The bricks are spaced 3/8 inch apart.

This problem is, I'm very unhappy with the quality of the grout lines. I used brick mortar as a grout and quite frankly the job came out terrible. Thank goodness I'm doing a sample board. When I applied the grout, it never did smooth out, it was sandy and I could not get a smooth grout joint. Since this is a walkway, I want the grout to be level or almost level with the brick surface and I simply can't get it right. When I try to smooth out the joint, the mortar flakes out of the joint. I've done indoor tiles and this never happened with grout.

Your advice is appreciated. Also, is there a mortar mix that more creamer than sanded mortar?

I'll continue to do sample boards until I get it right.

Thanks

Old 01-09-09, 02:16 PM
Then use a traditional sanded grout you find in the tile aisle of a big box store. It won't be like traditional brick mortar.

Old 01-09-09, 05:39 PM
J
The grout/mortar joint is always going to be lower than the surface of the tile/brick, and it's supposed to be that way.

Jaz