PEI Rating importance?

Old 12-25-08, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PEI Rating importance?

Is the PEI rating important when selecting floor tile?

I'm installing tile in our washroom (where the washer/dryer are located). It gets a lot of foot traffic, since it's where the entrance to the garage is located, but other than that, there's not a huge chance of dropping anything on the floor, etc.

I've found some tile at Lowe's that is listed PEI 3 that has the color we're looking for - none of the PEI 4/5 has the color we'd like to get. Should this be a huge factor in selecting tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-08, 03:51 PM
PEI rating is important. Abrasion resistance is important. For instance, PEI of '0' is not recommended for floors at all. PEI '1' is light duty and might survive in a powder room. PEI '2 & 3' are medium duty, meaning light to medium traffic. PEI '4' is heavy duty (moderate to heavy traffic) and '5' extra heavy duty (heavy to extra heavy traffic). You state 'lots of foot traffic.' I'd shop around and look for a higher rated tile that would work with your decor. As you describe the area, it is in an entrance way and a busy work area. It's your call.

Old 12-29-08, 03:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
PEI rating is very important, but it is not the only factor that you should consider. The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) classifies tile by its water absorption potential. Impervious tiles with a water absorption rate below .5% are the least likely to stain because they don't absorb much moisture. Here is link where you can learn more about selecting the right ceramic tile NO ADVERTISING!
Stacey

Last edited by Shadeladie; 01-02-09 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Link removed. Advertising not allowed.