Flattening a Sloped Floor for Tile

Old 12-30-08, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flattening a Sloped Floor for Tile

New to the forums (nice place you got here!) and hoping to find some advice. I'm converting a screened-in porch into a 4 season room with electric radiant heat under tile. The room floor is an above-grade concrete slab (about 40 years old and in great structural condition) in an upper midwest climate.

The issue is that the 12 x 12 floor is slightly uneven (i.e. it's not perfectly flat) and it also has a slope in one direction of about 3 inches. I'd originally thought that self-leveling cement would be a simple fix but there is an exterior door at the down-slope end of the room and my concern is that any slc would flow toward that end of the room and leave me with no room to add tile and still be able to open the door. (Door height cannot be adjusted unfortunately)

Are there any other solutions that are feasible? My plan is to lay down a layer of 1/4" cork underlayment, followed by electric radiant mats, and then tile. The slope of the room is of no concern otherwise but I am hoping to achieve a flat surface for the tile. Is it possible to skip the slc and essentially screed the thin-set to varying depths to achieve a flat tile floor?

Cheers from Wisconsin.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-08, 06:50 PM
i have used thinset to flatten, works fine. and i have used a large scrapper to knock down some high spots of the thinset, after its dry enough to walk on.

Old 01-06-09, 06:31 PM
First question is are you trying to heat the room with heat mats? If you are you won't have much luck. especially during the cold months. the cool air will take the heat off the tile faster than the mat can produce and you will never get it up to a steady temperature. as for the leveling you can use thinset but you can only do it a about a 1/4" at a time at the most. too much and it will not be strong enough. but depending on the size of the area yes you can use it. your best bet is to use the self leveling concrete. mix it a little stiff so you can push it to where you want it. I also don't think you will gain too much with the cork underlayment.