Water proof tile floor

Old 01-04-09, 09:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water proof tile floor

I'm not sure if i'm in the right forum. if not please let me know and i will re-post. I'm not sure if Iím in the right forum. If not please let me know and I will re-post. My washer and dryer are in a closet space next to a slop sink. Under the slop sink is a floor drain. The entire floor is tiled with a lilted lip. The idea was that if the washer overflowed or leaked the water would run into the floor drain. I was under the impression that a tile floor wound not allow water to leak through. I was wrong and water does leak to my kitchen ceiling.

The question. Is there a way to waterproof the tile floor? Looks are not important. Less expensive the better. I looked at the washer pans they sell but it wonít work because the drain is on the bottom. If they have ones with the drain on the side that would work. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-09, 11:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Usually this is done with a sloped floor to the drain utilizing a mud bed and waterproof underlayment, like Noble TS or a Schluter product. It's not cheap either, but works very well.

They also sell automatic shutoff supply lines. It will automatically shut off the water at the valve if it detects a sudden leak.

Old 01-04-09, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Yes, they have them with drains on the side. Check at appliance stores or plumbing supply stores. A quick web search showed 2 or 3 diff sites.