Sealing Gap Along Metal Track

Old 01-11-09, 09:49 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sealing Gap Along Metal Track

I'm laying a porcelain tile entrance in front of a sliding glass door. The guy at the store said not to seal where the tile butts up against the inside of the door's metal track, just get it as close as you can. I'm afraid of moisture seeping down since it will be a frequently used entranceway (once I build my deck). Is there a grout or a caulk I should use to adhere to the tile and metal? I'm in Michigan, so the track can get pretty cold. Also, if I need to leave an expansion gap, how wide should that be?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 10:22 AM
C
i would leave a bit of a gap, size is up to you. just get some caulk the color you like. make sure the metal is clean, and it will stick.

Old 01-11-09, 04:57 PM
J
Yea, the guy at the store is wrong or misspoke? He may have meant to say that grout there would crack? Do as condo said using a caulk that matches the grout in color and texture, probably sanded caulk?

Talking about expansion gaps. Did you leave a gap around the perimeter of the room? If the areas are large, any expansion joints in the field? What did you install the tiles over, and with what?

Jaz

Old 01-11-09, 05:16 PM
H
Entryway

Thanks. I'll go the caulk route.

To answer your questions:
It's only a 2 foot by 6 foot entryway. There's only a few inches of overlap next to the walls. I'm using that schluter stuff around the perimeter. Is there a special way I should cut the corners of the border?

I'm ripping up a matching section of old linoleum tile as we speak so I can lay 1/4 inch cement board directly on the sublfloor and that will be my base. Some people say just screw on the backer board while some people say screw and thinset. What's your thought?

Thanks again for your replies.

Old 01-11-09, 07:31 PM
J
Anyone that says there is no need to thinset any CBU to the subfloor doesn't know what they're talking about and if they are in the tile biz, should try something else.

Jaz