Level dfifferent thicknesse of tile?

Old 01-11-09, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Level dfifferent thicknesse of tile?

I am tiling a shower with 12 x 12 tiles and want to put in a stripe of 2x2 tiles around as an accent. The problem is the 2x2 tiles are about half the thickness of the 12 x 12 tiles, so when I put them on, thye are recessed somewhat from the edges of the larger tiles. What is th e best way to get them flush? I tried a strip of 1/4" backer board, but it was tw thick and just reverses the problem. 1/8" would be perfect but that doesn't seem to exist. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 08:56 PM
The perfect product for you is Ditra membrane. I have no idea where you'll fine just a little bit of it though. You're doing the shower walls, are you also tiling the bath floor? Ditra might be a good thing to install there instead of cement board.

Jaz

Old 01-12-09, 10:01 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You could apply thinset to the area that will receive the accent tiles with a small v-notch trowel. Let the thinset set up, and then fill in the notches with thinset. Let that set up and then use thinset and a v-notch trowel to set the accent tile. Time consuming but it'll work.

I use Jaz's method cause I have plenty of scraps of ditra laying around. It may be a costly way for you to do it, as the smallest roll you'll be able to buy is 54 sq feet, a lot more than you'll need and the stuff aint cheap.

Old 01-12-09, 11:23 AM
I hadn't thought about Ditra. I may be able to scare up some scraps. Thought about building up with the thin-set but trying to avoid that trouble. I am tiling the floor, but using the 2x2 on the whole floor to conform better to slope of the poured floor. Thanks.

Old 01-12-09, 11:30 AM
If you decide to use ditra on the floor, keep in mind that 2x2 tile is the absolute smallest tile you can use.

Old 01-12-09, 11:34 AM
Also, with ditra any leveling or getting the floor on plane needs to be done under the ditra, not over.