tile over formica

Old 01-12-09, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question tile over formica

I have read the forum regarding tile over formica, but it is from 2006 and I wanted to know if there are any new updates or materials that are ideal for tiling over formica. I have a formica backsplash that runs up under my upper cabinets about 1/2 inch. It seems like it would be too risky for my cabinets to try to cut the backsplash out along their bottom edge, unless you think I couldremove it and hope that the 1/2" under my cabinets simply slides out.

I was hoping that since the formica does go under the cabinets a little that it might lend to the strength of what ever is holding the formica to the drywall.

thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-09, 03:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It's probably just glued to the drywall.

I don't recommend tiling over formica because the substrate is usually particle board, which has no business in a tiled installation.

You can rent tools that will cut it flush with the countertop, like a Fein Multimaster or other similar tool.

Old 01-12-09, 08:29 PM
Yea, it's probably just glued with a few squiggly lines of glue, which is why it should be easily removed. Particle board or MDF has nothing to do in this case. Even if the laminate is locked under the cabinets, it doesn't matter. Just chip it away with a putty knife after removing the bulk of it.

Jaz

Old 01-12-09, 08:51 PM
Scoring the plastic laminate with a utility knife run along under cabinets might help with the removal. A heat gun and pry bar may be helpful in prying the laminate off the wall. Expect some damage to drywall. There will be the issue of removing whatever was used to adhere the laminate to the wall. With luck, it's simply silicone caulk.