Tiling Guest Bathroom

Old 01-19-09, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling Guest Bathroom

I decided it was time to tear out the old vinyl floor in our guest bathroom and lay down tile. I've spent most of the day scraping off vinyl, but I've received a variety of suggestions on how to finish my floor prep (the folks at my local hardware store and tile shop all seem to have conflicting opinions). I have an OSB subfloor with a layer of 1/4" plywood on which the vinyl was installed. It looks like the ply was glued to the OSB, does that make sense?. Do I need to pull up the plywood and lay down cement board? I was alternatively told I could lay self leveling concrete down on the plywood and tile directly over that. I'm a little concerned about height. Appreciate the help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 01:42 PM
OK, I should have read a little more before I posted. Looks like the 1/4" ply has to come up regardless. So a new question: What's the best way to get that plywood up? It's pretty snug in the room and fits tight under the door jam. Thanks.

Old 01-19-09, 04:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi!

I would get one of those heavy duty floor scrapers found in a big box store. If the 1/4" is really glued, it might just be easier to pull the entire subfloor up.

What's the thickness of the OSB? Do you know your joist sizes yet (2x?), and there spacing (center to center), and the unsupported span of those joists? Having this information will allow us to provide you with the best possible directions on how to proceed tiling.

Old 01-19-09, 05:53 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The 1/4" underlayment definitly has to go. Vinyl underlayment is not usually glued to the subfloor. The best way to get the vinyl and underlayment up is to set your circular saw to the thickness of the vinyl and underlayment, cut into 2' squares and pry it up.