Removal of adhsive residue from tiles

Old 01-24-09, 01:42 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Removal of adhsive residue from tiles

Hello,
I am removing Armstrong self-stick tiles from the kitchen, hallway, and fmly rm. They were applied over a 1/4 inch plywood subflooring surface and now I need to remove the sticky residue that is left behind. Does anyone have experience or a recommendation for the cleanest, fastest way to get it done? Many thanks. Fred

Old 01-24-09, 02:04 PM
T
Are you going with ceramic? If so, that means the 1/4" ply MUST go. All 1/4" wood underlayments are specifically excluded from ceramic installations. Post back with joist size, spacing and span, as well as what the actual subflooring is and we'll guide you from there.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 3 seconds.

Old 01-24-09, 03:45 PM
F
Not ceramic

Tilebri,
Thanks for the input but NO we do not plan to go with ceramic tile as the replacement. We favor an Armstrong sheet vinyl product in a new line they call 'cushion step' and the first contractor we visited said they could put it in without glue. But until we have the new surface down I want to get this sticky mess up. I have pets and it can't be good to their feet. Thanks,
Fred

Old 01-24-09, 05:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi Fred!

Could you just pull the 1/4" subfloor up and install new? Or install new over the existing?

Old 01-24-09, 05:11 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Remove the old 1/4" plywood underlayment and install new for a professional looking installation and to assure that you do not void warranties. You can not use solvents, and you can have no adhesive residue.

Armstrong Cushion Step installation requires " Substrates must be dry, clean, smooth, and free from paint, varnish, wax, oils, solvents and other foreign matter."

Read and follow manufacturer's installation instructions. You need to get the product in the home to acclimate 48 hours prior to installation.

CushionStep Installation System

Old 01-24-09, 06:45 PM
F
Wow,
After I read the procedure guidelines from the link you attached I guess I will have to replace the underlayment. When I put it down in 1990 I used ring-shank nails and/or screws like drywall screws, shorter ones, because I was determined not to have it shift or heave on me. Now I will compare the costs of doing it myself again with paying the flooring company to do it or using a heavy duty stripper. Maybe the replacement will be the easiest and the best.
Thanks very much for your input, information, and sharing your expertice.

Fred

Old 01-25-09, 06:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't use chemicals. These can be dangerous in a home environment.

Old 02-01-09, 09:52 AM
F
Removal of adhesive residue from tiles

Thank you all for your advice. Currently we have a mess but yesterday a contractor was here, he claims to have put down the 'Cushion Step' linoleum over a latex coating. Hence, he said they would come in here after I have removed all tiles, spread the latex sealer/filler over the plywood subfloor, and then lay down the 'cushion step'.
My next step is to have the place looked at for just wood flooring to be installed everywhere and just skip the linoleum. Then my biggest concern is how to make the thresholds between rooms even out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: