Tiling a large floor over existing tile

Old 01-27-09, 12:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling a large floor over existing tile

have done tons of searches an now have found this wonderful forum where everyone curses Arcyl Pro and now I know why.

At the recommendation of two Home Depots and Lowes I used Acryl Pro for tiling ceramic tile over a very old hard vinyl tile in my basement and guess what they are popping up.

I would of removed the old tile but it was way to secure to remove..the mastic back in the old days holds well as we all know.

Now some of the tile in this 400 Sq2 room has set very well, I learned this by trying to remove it and cracking some tiles. I am going back and fixing the bad ones.

My question for the experts is now that I know I should use a thinset mortar. Is there any distinct difference between the following:

Versabond
FlexBond
Speedset

Which would be the best for bonding to existing tile in a somewhat cold setting?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-09, 01:14 PM
I am not a pro, but here's my understanding of the breakdown.

Versabond is your "general use" latex modified thinset This will work for your application.

Flexbond is like a extra-modified thinset. This will work also for you, but more $$

Speedset is more for professionals, as it will "set up" quickly, allowing pros' to move fast and grout on the same day. This will also work, but I'd not use it.

The more important step will be to scrape out all of the acryl-pro from the space the tile left. Also, make sure you didn't grout any tiles tight to the walls or any support posts. there shoujld be about 1/4" of space around the perimieter of the tile field. Usually hidden under baseboards.

Old 01-27-09, 06:31 PM
Do you know whether tile old tiles are vinyl asbestos or asphalt? When were they installed, what size and what thickness?

If the old tiles are still well bonded, I would choose the better product, FlexBond.

Next time don't ask anyone wearing vests questions, chances are they won't know flooring very well. Those stores refuse to hire people that know what they're talking about. (With the exception of Mark below, and possibly a few others?).

Next time also, remove the old tiles.

Jaz

Last edited by JazMan; 01-27-09 at 07:22 PM.
Old 01-27-09, 07:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They like to sell AcryPro because we watched a cool video during training on selling the junk. Luckily I knew enough about tiling BEFORE I started there, I didn't make such an arse out of myself trying to sell that crap.

AcrylPro has it's place, and that place is normally backsplashes.

Old 01-28-09, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys,

I know the old tiles were probably probably set 25- 35 years ago, they are 1/8 inch thick balck mastic, and set like a rock. Getting them out is next to impossible.

What makes me made is even the Acryl Pro tub and website says it can be used for this so I thought they must be right. It wasn't until I dug into the FAQs on the site that a mastic us a bad choice for this situation.

When this stuff sets it's like a rock but it just not setting every where. I even did test tiles with it.

Well I guess I learned my lesson.