Floor prep over warped boards

Old 01-28-09, 11:21 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Floor prep over warped boards

I would like to tile the kitchen, hallway, and bathroom with ceramic tile. I've searched and read many posts here and am confused because I don't think my question has been answered yet, so I decided to throw it out to you pros in hopes of getting help.

All three areas are covered in vinyl tiles of some sort (the former owner worked for Armstrong and in the early 60s when the house was built Armstrong often used their employees' houses as their test market); it is still in good shape, none have come up or cracked, but all are VERY, VERY ugly (in fact, they were probably ugly when they were originally put in! ). I have resigned myself to the fact that I will probably spend countless hours pulling, prying, and/or scraping these up. However, there is one area in the hallway and one in the bathroom where the plywood underneath seems to have warped. I am not sure how to proceed in the preparation of the floor so it will be suitable for the tilework.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-09, 12:00 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Your vinyl tiles were likely installed on a 1/4" underlayment of some sort. Remove the vinyl and underlayment at the same time. You can set your circular saw to the thickness of the tile and underlayment and cut the floor into managable sections, then remove with hammer, prybar and whatever else works for you.

Is just the underlayment warped or is the subfloor underneath the underlayment warped as well?

After you have removed the vinyl and underlayment, let us know what you have for a subfloor and the condition of same. What is the sized of the floor joists, their on center spacing and unsupported span from below?