Another subfloor question

Old 01-28-09, 05:17 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another subfloor question

I'm considering tiling the 4'x6' entry way of my home. However after reading many posts in this wonderful forum I'm not sure how suitable my subfloor would be for such a project. I usually think of floor construction having beams, joists and subflooring. But my home's floor is constructed of

4"x6" beams running the length of the house with pier support every 6', the beams are spaced 48" on center, on top of the beams are 2"x6" tongue and groove boards, and most of the house has 3/4" oak flooring on top of the 2"x6"s.

To me it looks like the 4"x6" beams serve as joists and the 2"x6" tongue and groove boards serve as subflooring. Perhaps I have the terminology confused.

I would like to use 6"x6" ceramic tile in the entry way, and it would be bordered on one end by the oak flooring. Would I need to beef up the entry way sub flooring to support the tile or would a layer of HardieBacker be sufficient for laying the tiles? Thanks for your help and advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-09, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi! Welcome to the forums!

I'm not up to snuff with post and beam construction, but hang in there, someone will chime in.

Old 01-28-09, 06:11 PM
J
This type of construction is common in sections of the left coast for some reason. It has been discussed over at JB"s and we have always said There is no method that allows tile installation when the joists are spaced over 24" o.c.

Best bet is to check with someone local, maybe your town's building department?

Jaz

Old 01-28-09, 07:59 PM
P
Smile

Yes Jazman, this is a "left coast" home I'll see what I can find out from the local's and check what neighbors in the same sub-division have had to do to install tile floors. I'll also check back here to see if anybody has any additional inputs. Thanks Jazman.