Remove grout and caulking??

Old 02-07-09, 04:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove grout and caulking??

I have a white ceramic tile floor in my shower it is a triangular shaped shower measuring 58 X 68 at the widest part. The grout and caulk were white but now are stained gray and black in some places. I have used everything to clean it and nothing comes off at all. I used Kaboom, Clorox etc. They guys who built it also did a bad job so all the extra grout around the drain is dark and it a big stain. It just looks terrible and I would love to have a nice clean looking shower.

How much trouble will it be to remove all the grout and caulk and redo it? I have only worked with tile once on a very small project and it was easy. But removing it seems almost impossible. Are there product to loosen the grout and weaken it so you can get it up more easily. I just took a sharp tool and wasn't able to make a dent. Is this a job for a professional? I have done a lot of remodeling but not with tile. Or do you know of any secret formulas for removing extreme stains?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-09, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi!

Do you know how it was constructed to begin with? It sounds like there might not be a preslope under the pan liner so the water just sits, creating mold there instead of draining out the weep holes.

If you want to take out the grout, they have manual grout saws and some power tools (dremel, etc).

I've used this, with good results:

Aqua Mix - For Home Use - Product Detail - Cleaners - AquaKleen

Old 02-07-09, 05:18 PM
B
I am not sure what a pre slope is but the shower does slope to the middle pretty dramatically. The water seems to drain properly. Underneath is a slab - this whole part of my house was built on a slab.

Can you give me some details on how difficult and what is involved in taking out the grout. I don't have a dremel tool but I'm sure I could borrow one from a friend.

Old 02-07-09, 06:11 PM
Just get one of these, and a couple extra replacement blades:

Available at big box stores.

Regarding the preslope:

You wouldn't really know if they installed a preslope unless you take out the final slope, which is what your tiles are attached too. Basically, preslope, rubber pan liner, final preslope, then tile.

Old 02-08-09, 05:08 AM
B
So, what can I do after removing the old grout to make sure I use the right materials so this will not happen again?

Old 02-08-09, 06:39 AM
Well, if there is no preslope, and if that discoloration is mold, it will come back eventually.

If the grout was never sealed to begin with, it may have just been stained.

How wide are the grout joints? Depending on that, you will want to replace the grout with a sanded grout (Polyblend from HD, etc), then after it cures, you will want to seal it with a quality sealer.

Old 02-10-09, 02:23 AM
B
I do not think a sealer was ever applied. The joints are very thin, the standard size between small tile, I am traveling but I would say either 1/4 or 1/8 wide. The caulking around the border of the shower is about a half inch. I am pretty sure this is stain from minerals in the water and not mold but I can't be positive. I will ask the man who built the shower about the pre slope.