Travertine Questions

Old 02-08-09, 02:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Travertine Questions

I am getting ready to lay some travertine tile in my bathroom. It is a small space, about 5'x3' . The tiles we purchaesd are 1 1/2" X 1 1/2" attached to mesh to make 1'x1' pieces. I have two questions. First, what size notch on the trowl for spreading the thinset? The store recommened a 3/16 notch. Doesn't sound right for a floor installation. Second question was the sealer. Does it go on before you grout or after? I have been told one way by one person and the opposite from another.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-09, 02:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi!

A 3/16" V notch trowel would be good for mosaics. If you used a 1/4" notched trowel, there would be alot of thinset oozing through the grout lines.

I would lay the tile, then apply your sealer to the tile until it doesn't want to absorb, then grout, then seal it all again.

Old 02-08-09, 06:24 PM
If these travertine tiles are the thickness of 12" travertine you may be able to get away with the 1/4" notch but you should go back and flat trowel the ridges down so there is less chance of seepage up through the groutlines. This does require a bit of touch so you dont pull away too much thinset. in that case the 3/16 would be a better option.

Old 02-09-09, 02:48 AM
M
Thanks for the advice. As a person who doesn't lay tile for a living, I'll probably go with the 3/16 trowl. I have laid ceramic before but never stone. Also, they were much larger. The wife really liked the smaller pattern and I have to say there isn't going to be much need for cutting.