How to apply grout to Travertine Tile?

Old 02-08-09, 07:58 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to apply grout to Travertine Tile?

We are installing 4x4 Travertine tiles as our kitchen backsplash. How do I apply the grout without having it get inside the pores of the Travertine?

Thanks, Dave

Old 02-09-09, 09:42 AM
T
You want to fill those pock marks with grout. If you don't, they'll fill up with everything you don't want getting in them; food, grease, etc. Grout will shrink somewhat as it cures and cleaning the tile surface after the joints set up will also slightly recess the grout in those holes. If you are really set on keeping them open, then making tape. I absolutely hate grout bags, especially on a vertical plane.

Old 02-09-09, 09:51 PM
mask her off with some decent blue tape...i dont get into grout bags much either...just put it on and you can really work the grout in with the float and sponge

Old 02-10-09, 06:02 AM
D
Some people have suggested I seal it twice before grouting. Do you agree?

Old 02-10-09, 07:23 AM
T
If you expect sealing will keep grout from sticking in those pores and pocks, you will be horribly let down by your grouting experience. Anyone who told you sealing will keep out the grout has never set tumbled stone before. If you want to keep the grout from filling the pores and pocks, you need to tape them off. Sealing will make an easier job of cleaning the grout off the face of the tile, but if they're taped off, guess there's no need to preseal

Old 02-10-09, 07:25 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Dave,

The correct and best way is the grout using a matching color and fill the crevices. There is no need to seal the tiles until after they're grouted. Then chose either a penetrating or enhancing sealer and apply a couple coats.

I think masking the tiles is a big waste. Some of the tape is likely to come off while grouting and washing, plus you'll still get grout film on the tiles.

Jaz

Old 02-10-09, 07:40 PM
D
Thanks for the advice. We'll apply the grout and not worry about it getting in the pores. Our color choice for the grout is a close match so we will take your advice and not worry about the pores.

Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: