what thickness

Old 02-11-09, 07:14 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what thickness

Need help with first time tile installation on bathroom shower wall.

Down to stud walls around tub now, existing sheet-rock on wall is 1/2 inch, new tile is 1/4 inch. We need to know what thickness backer board to install.

Also need to know what size trowel for 1x1 ceramic tile (on 12x12 sheets). Have read lots about trowel size for larger tile but can't find anything regarding the small tiles.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 02-11-09, 08:06 AM
T
I use a 1/4 inch V-notch trowel for these small tiles. You may be able to use a 1/8 V-notch. Once you apply the glue, put the tile on and then pull it off to check the coverage. You should have glue on the wall and the back of the tile. I also use a clean trowel or a grout float to push the tiles to the wall, it helps keep the tiles fluch to each other

Old 02-11-09, 10:09 AM
T
1/2" cement board on the studs with 6 mil poly sheeting behind it. I'd suggest Hardi in this case because you would be able to cut about a 1/8" deep notch in it to go over the tub or pan flange. Normally, the cbu, if not furred out would stop 1/8" above the flange but with the 1" tile, you'll need to bring the cbu to 1/8" above the deck of the tub or pan. You could also furr out the walls to allow the cbu to ride over...up to you.

First, wet the hardi real good,otherwise it will wick the moisture out of your thinset. 1/4"x3/16 v notch, then go back over with the smooth side of the trowel to flatted the ridges. Place the mosaic sheets on the wall and pat into place with a block of wood. That will minimize or even eliminate excessive purge from the tile joints. Stagger the joints of the sheets as you progress up the wall to prevent a repeat appearance after grouting.

By the way, do not use anything premixed in a bucket. Only use bagged modified thinset that you mix yourself.

Old 02-11-09, 07:12 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I also answered this question at the other forum.

You'll have to do as Tilebri said about notching or shimming the cement backer out so it'll clear the tub. How do you plan to finish the ends of the tiles where it stops?

Jaz

Old 02-12-09, 12:46 PM
N
That's right about notching out the hardi-backer. I'm planning to bring it to within 1/8 inch of the tub and maybe have the company who re-glazes the tub seal the bottom of the tile to the tub. Think that would work?

Old 02-12-09, 02:55 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I'm planning to bring it to within 1/8 inch of the tub and maybe have the company who re-glazes the tub seal the bottom of the tile to the tub. Think that would work?
Not a good idea. This joint needs to be able to move a bit. Tile to within 1/8" of the tub, then caulk the gap.

Old 01-24-10, 11:21 AM
D
Notched Trowel Size?

My Porcelain (18"x18" and 3/8" Thick) tiles will be set on a very good condition 25 yr old exterior open patio (I am in south Florida).

2 Questions:
1) What should be the thickness of the thinset bed?
2) What size notched trowel should I use to obtain the required thickness?

Thanks
DickIII

Old 01-24-10, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This patio is concrete slab?

If slab, it would be good idea to invest in some Noble Deck (Sheet Membranes for Waterproofing, Crack Isolation and Sound Isolation)

1/2" trowel should be used.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: