Concerned about weight of wall tile

Old 02-12-09, 09:39 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concerned about weight of wall tile

I am tiling around a bathtub and the shipping weight for the tile was about 300 lbs. should I be concerned? I have 2x10 16 OC joist and the studs are 2x4 24 OC covered with Hardiebacker. The bathroom is on a second floor, pretty close to the end of the joist span. There are two layers of subfloor in the bathroom, 5/8 ply and another 1/2 ply.

Does anybody see any problems with installing the tile?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-09, 02:40 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You are not telling us much by telling us the weight of the tile. You do have a major issue though. Your 24" oc spacing of the studs is a problem. Hardi requires that the studs be no more than 16" oc. You need to take the hardi down and add some additional studs. Other than that, I'd not be concerned about the weight of the tile. Make sure you insulate exterior walls and use a 6 mil poly vapor barrier over the studs.

Your question is about wall tile, but you have given some info on your floor as well. Do you have concerns about the floor stiffness as well?

Old 02-13-09, 06:20 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info about the Hardiebacker, the 24OC studs were what was there. I did go to the website and sure enough they recommend maximum 16OC studs. I guess I have some extra work this weekend.

The reason I was mentioning the construction of the floor is because I assumed that the floor altimately absorbed the weight of the tiled wall. I was concerned about 300 lbs of tile plus a full bathtub plus the weught of the person.