Caulking tile shower

Old 02-13-09, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking tile shower

I have a tile shower where I have had to recaulk perimeter of the seams where the walls meet the floor and also the floor drain. I let it dry for a couple of days and have used denaturalized alcohol to clean it prior to recaulking with silicone, but a couple of months later it starts to pull away and mold seems to be growing behind it. Any advice or suggestions would surely help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 06:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would bet the shower was not built properly and so the deck mud and possibly the walls are saturated. If I'm right, there's really no way to fix it.

Do you know how the shower was built? Did you build it or watch and remember how it was done?

You probably has no pre-slope under the shower pan membrane, and who knows how the walls are built. That is why I only build Kerdi showers these days.

Jaz

Old 02-14-09, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Im thinking that Jazman is right on here. Its likely that the caulk is not lasting because the mud bed is saturated and never dries out. No preslope, means that there is no positive slope toward the drain, under the mud bed resulting in poor or no drainage. Also, the wallboard or cement board is likely wicking water from the saturated mud bed as well.

You should be aware that the caulk doesnt waterproof the pan. The caulk isnt going to work under those conditions anyway. You might try removing the caulk, letting it dry out for a couple weeks or more, and then using grout instead of caulk. Give the grout a few days to cure before using the shower. The grout may crack over time, but might hold up better than the caulk in your situation. Obviously, if there is no preslope, the only way to fix it right would be to tear out the pan and do it over the right way.