how to make matte and glossy finishes match

Old 02-16-09, 01:25 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question how to make matte and glossy finishes match

We bought several boxes of tile a year ago in preparation to redo our kitchen floor. Our project was delayed, but when we went back to Lowe's last month, they still had the tile brand, color, etc. (Surface Source, Caribbean Slate, ceramic tile) Only after we laid the tile did we realize that the original tile had a glossy finish and the new tile had a matte finish.

It is a large area that has been covered (kitchen/dining) and the mix of tiles is about 50/50. Is there any way to make this look the same? Seal all the tiles? Remove the gloss from some?

Please help! I don't want to have to redo this, but I'm not sure I can live with the look as it is right now, either.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-09, 01:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can't seal ceramic tile. If you sand off the gloss on the other ones, you will probably have staining issues since you are taking off the glaze.

Old 02-16-09, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think you may be hosed....

Same thing happened to me when I mis-estimated my needs....went back for one more box...same color but different lot..so it was a slightly different shade. I got lucky and was able to use the slightly diff color as a border.

Guess this is why they recommend dry layouts I guess?