Replacing kitchen parque floors with tile

Old 02-27-09, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ha thanks... I'm actually on vacation next week. so I'm workin on this over the weekend and heading out late sunday.

Question.. if their isnt much of a concern about adhesion, and if this last layer is SO on their and so solid/brittle, <graspingAtStraws>why can't I just install over it?</graspingAtStraws>

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-09, 02:26 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Unlike the plywood, the lino has some cushion in it and therefore, up and down movement.

Old 02-27-09, 02:30 PM
yeah thats why I was asking because this stuff is not plyable like the 2 other layers...Its brittle and solid. doesnt seem to have any cushion, no more than wood might have.

Old 03-02-09, 09:51 PM
Hey guys, quick question,

I'm on vacation and have developed quite a rash mainly on my arms and legs. I'm extremely itchy and its driving me crazy.

Can you think of anything that I've been doing that could have caused this. Aside from working on tearing up my floor, I've also worked in my attic the week prior to starting the floor. I installing some recessed lighting and was crawling around up there for a few days getting things worked out. I wore a standard mask (I hadn't gotten the good scrubber mask till I started the floor).

I thought it might be from the insulation, but It was over a week ago I was up there.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Fish

Old 03-03-09, 07:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you been using any chemicals?

Any mold?

Other then that, don't see anything obvious with the task you are doing that can cause that.

Old 03-03-09, 07:05 AM
No, I didnt use any chemicals. Like 3 weeks ago I used TSP on the walls before sanding and painting them but I wore gloves for that.

I don't believe there was any mold as far as I can see.

very strange.

thx for the reply though

Old 03-03-09, 07:20 AM
Could be the insulation, happens to me all the time. If you are concerned that it might be something else, its a good idea to see a doctor.

Now on to the more important subject. Did you get all the lino up yet?

Old 03-03-09, 07:27 AM
Its weird that it would be the insulation. I haven't been in the attic in over a week. Its super itchy and its like single pore blisters. I have pretty sensitive skin so that doesnt help.

Anyway. I spent ALL day on Saturday taking the floor up.. 1sq in at a time. Absolutely brutal. I forged through and thought I may actually finish.. but alas.. 10 hrs later, I still have a little less than 1/4 left... Sunday I woke up and couldn't even look at it. So i packed my bags and left for the week.

I'm not even sure a week is enough time away from it before I start again, so I may see if I can find someone to finish it. It is THAT bad. I probably should have just left that layer down. It is only 3mm thin with the cutback and doesnt have any elasticity to it. I despise that 3mm.

Old 03-23-09, 01:14 PM
Just a quick update on my progress...

Finished tearing up the floor. I did about 3/4 my self but didnt have the rest in me. I got some guy of craigslist to come and tear the rest up... it took him 5 hrs. Nice dude.

I sistered the joists with 8 foot 2x6s... glued and nailed and screwed together. I couldnt get anythign longer in there. it was tight. I hope it helped, but hopefully between that, the cementboard and tile it will tighten up.

The tile I installed is 18" Porcelain tile. Nice stuff but damn big. I rented a monster tile cutter (after learning my lesson installing my bathroom tile). I rented a MKDiamond 212 cutter. Freaking awesome. I installed all the full pieces on saturday in a few hrs and spent all day sunday (12 hrs) cutting the tile for the perimeter. Took me longer than I thought but I installed on an angle (diamond) so there were some tough cuts to work out. It was pretty messy installing the cuts the second day. I had thinset all over me Much messier than day one... that was easy.

Gonna clean the tile and grout on wednesday I hope... after my back and knees recover..

Pics to come... thanks again...

Tired and beaten,

Dave

Old 03-23-09, 03:52 PM
Dave,

Thanks for reporting back! How's the rash?

also....

Old 03-23-09, 05:11 PM
Sound like you made some good progress. Looking forward to the pictures.

Don't be discouraged by the amount of time its taking you. Its your house, and this is no race.

Old 03-23-09, 05:35 PM
Thanks guys. Rash is better But still not gone. its a doooozy! Whatever I was allergic to really got in my system.

Will post pics after setting the grout.

Dave

Old 03-27-09, 06:36 AM
GROUTED... FINALLY!!!!!

Here are a couple of pics from my grout job I finished last night. 18x18" Porcelain Tile from HD.

So happy this is finished and so happy with how it came out.

Thanks for ALL the help. You guys are the best! Gonna post again when the kitchen is painted and finished!

Dave

Old 03-27-09, 09:59 AM
Dave

It looks great, nice job.

Soon you'll be able to go back to not having to eat out 7 nights a week.

Old 03-27-09, 10:43 AM
Thanks Johnny... I'm really happy with it. and my wife loves it.
The past 2 months haven't been too bad.. We BBQed a lot figured out we can make pasta on the side burner of our grill

Now on to painting!

Old 03-27-09, 03:23 PM
Excellent job Dave! .........................

Old 07-06-09, 07:22 PM
Hey guys.. hope all is well.

Just wanted to share a few things... first off. I'm a dad. My wife and I had a baby girl last week. She's absolutely amazing. Also, I finished my concrete countertops just in time for her arrival!

It took about 3 weeks from pour to polish. I couldnt be happier with how they came out. They look fantastic! 20 linear feet for a few hundred bucks and a lot of sweat equity!

Thought I would share some pics:

Thanks again for all the help!

Dave

Old 07-07-09, 09:39 AM
The countertops look great. More important, congratulations on being a dad. There's nothing better than that.

Old 07-07-09, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
fish....where did you get the instructions for the countertops? I think I'd like something like that for outside in the grilling pergola (when I start building it, after it cools off!).

Oh...and the whole kitchen looks excellent. Probably wouldn't have cost more than $20K-25K to have it done...lol

Old 07-07-09, 02:03 PM
Hey Guys. Thanks for the kind words.... A LOT of the info came from Tu-Fung Chengs book. (I have the old one)

His site has some helpful stuff as well. I used a brown pigment from a local supply shop to give it the brown color.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave

Old 07-07-09, 03:34 PM
Looks great Dave! Congrats on being a dad! I have two girls of my own and one more girl on the way.