Need advice - Leveling gap left where baseboards were removed

Old 03-23-09, 12:07 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice - Leveling gap left where baseboards were removed

In our bathroom, the tile was cut right up to the existing baseboards (without removing) and grouted at the edge of the board.

Now I am updating the baseboards with a newer/taller board to match the remodel of rest of house. I managed to dig out the old board without damaging the tile.

Here's my dillema...
The space between the tile and the wall was just right for the old baseboards but too small in width for the new ones to fit in the recess. I'd like to set the new boards at tile level instead of having them recessed and directly on the Concrete subfloor. I am thinking that what I need to do is fill the gap between the tile and wall with some type of leveling compund to bring it up to tile level and make a level platform for the new boards to sit on.

Any advice on what to use to fill, and whether this is a good idea?

Thanks,
-Brian

Old 03-23-09, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I know it may not fit with the style..but what about a shoe molding instead.

I guess you could probably pack it with grout..but a color match might be tough. And I'm not sure it would really adhere very well.

Hey, wait...why fill them at all? If the front edge of the base will cover the gap...who cares? Put the base in, nail to studs and bottom plate, caulk the joint. The base doesn't have to sit on a solid surface. Most have a gap to be able to tuck carpet under.

Old 03-23-09, 02:44 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45
Hey, wait...why fill them at all? If the front edge of the base will cover the gap...who cares? Put the base in, nail to studs and bottom plate, caulk the joint. The base doesn't have to sit on a solid surface. Most have a gap to be able to tuck carpet under.
Hmm...good point . Not sure why I was thinking I needed a solid base. I'll just nail it level like you say. I will need to grout though because there are some spots that the board doesn't completely cover. I don't really like the shoe molding look. Now I get to try my hand at matching grout color.

Old 03-23-09, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Try some color matched caulk instead..they have it sanded so it can match up to most grouts.

If someone complains..other than your wife of course....tell 'em what I do. If you don't like it, don't hang around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: