Grout Coming Out in Shower Floor

Old 03-25-09, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout Coming Out in Shower Floor

I have a problem with the grout in my shower floor coming out slowly in various places. My house is 3 years old and there are several small pieces of grout missing. The tile is 2 X 2 so I was wondering if it would be good to just fill in the grout where it is missing or do I have to take all of the grout out and do the whole shower floor. I'm not sure if the new grout would adhere to the old grout and continue to come out over time.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-09, 07:46 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
First you have to figure out why the grout is coming out after only a couple of years. That shouldn't happen if everything was done correctly.

What do you know about the construction of the shower? Do you know how the pan was constructed. What was used to set the tile, and what kind of grout was used. Hopefully, the thinset from a bag that you mix with water, and grout that you mix with water was used. Hopefully not, anything premixed that came in a bucket.

Just adding grout, or removing the grout and replacing may not solve the problem.

Old 03-25-09, 08:25 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't know anything about the pan because I bought the house after it was constructed. The grout is a powder and came in a bag and could be mixed with water. I have some of the grout that was left over from the builder.

Could it be that the grout was mixed with too much water?

Old 03-25-09, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It could be a lot of different things. I dont have enough info to make an informed judgement.

If you decide to regrout, you'll need to remove the old grout down to at least 2/3rds the thickness of the tile. Grout has a shelf life, and open bags of grout should not be used after a few months. What you have, should not be used. You need to buy new grout.