Is this really a math challenge?

Old 03-30-09, 02:33 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is this really a math challenge?

Hello all,

I have been all over the place looking for solutions. I've read most of the posts here, and have been impressed, so I figure you all could help.

I am remodeling my bathroom. It's small, and the floor I need to tile is around 4' 6" x 7'. The problem is that I have 3/4" hardwood floors abutting the planned tile installation and I wanted to match the height. I figure with my 5/8" tile plus some subflooring I may be close. This is where I need the help.

I have 12" tiles for the floor. I have both enough ditra and 1/4" hardibacker to cover the area (don't ask. I have been struggling with this and have changed direction). The floor (California circa 1956 construction) is made of 1 3/4" or so tongue and groove planks over beams. (I can check the spacing of the beams) I say beams because I've built houses in Massachusetts and am unfamiliar with this type of construction. I have been trying to estimate the height of the finished tile installation with little success.

** So here are the questions:
-What size trowel would you recommend for 12" 5/8" thick floor tile?
- Can someone tell me how that L360 load deflection formula works? I think the floor is sound.
- What would you do? Install 1/8" plywood, then ditra, then tile? OR would you go 1/2" (per Schluter specs) plywood, then ditra then tile, then figure out how to work the transition down to the wood floor with a threshold or something? OR 1/4" hardibacker, then tile, then worry about transition? OR hire somebody?

Previous owner installed 1/2" cement board over planks, then 3/8" thick tiles 2" square.

Thanks in advance for any help. My wife thanks you too.

Old 03-30-09, 03:44 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Eric

You are getting a little ahead of yourself here. For starters give us details of what you have. Is this post and beam construction with 48" spacing?

Old 03-30-09, 08:33 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I think you got it Johnny, I bet that is what Eric has out there on the left coast.

We'll wait for the answer to be sure.

Jaz

Old 03-31-09, 12:04 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some of the info

OK, so to answer what I can without crawling under the house.... which I will do tomorrow to get exact details.

The house sits on a crawlspace with footings and posts.
The tongue and groove planks are actually 1 1/2 thick, not 1 3/4" as previously stated.
Judging by the nailing pattern in the floor, the beams are about 24" apart, but the pattern does not continue all the way to the outside wall. So where I expected to see another row of nails.... nada. Over the 9' length of the bathroom, I have two rows of nails set perpendicular. This leaves a 4' span with no indication of support.

I'll let you know tomorrow.I'll use the chance to beef up the hole for the toilet, there is little support there since the T&G was cut.

BTW, that was fast, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: