Tile in basement/Grout seems higher in some areas...

Old 04-01-09, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile in basement/Grout seems higher in some areas...

Hello,

I am in the process of having my basement tiled. The area is a 12x12 where the bar and back cabinets are going to be. The person that is doing the tile, laid the tile down on day 1 and day 2 he grouted and sponged down. This was last Thursday. He was back today and damp sponged it down again but it still looks 'hazy' and 'dusty'? if that is what you call it. The grout also looks lighter than I thought it was going to be. It is sanded grout. Just wondering if it is the grout dust or haze? I also noticed in some sections the grout looks 'higher' then in others..

My questions are:
1) Should I have him or can I damp sponge the tiles down again to clean up the haze/dust or should I do something else to remove?
2) Do I wait to make sure all the dust/haze is gone before I seal?
3) What do I do if there are some areas of grout are higher in some areas than others?

He is coming back tomorrow to grout the bath and foyer area.

Please give any suggestions, etc as soon as you can.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-09, 07:27 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
1) Should I have him or can I damp sponge the tiles down again to clean up the haze/dust or should I do something else to remove?
If he did the work, it should be up to him to clean any remaining grout haze. It may or may not come right off. I can't see it so I dont know how bad it is.

2) Do I wait to make sure all the dust/haze is gone before I seal?
Yes, you must wait. If you seal it now, you'll make it worse.

3) What do I do if there are some areas of grout are higher in some areas than others?
How bad is it? Bring it to his attention and let him deal with it.

He is coming back tomorrow to grout the bath and foyer area.
Perfect time to let him deal with the issues at hand.

Old 04-02-09, 12:06 PM
Question,

What is the BEST way to wipe down the tiles/grout that won't ruin it since it is not sealed yet.. A wet or damp sponge?

Since the grout is cured, it's be a week, what would he need to do if there are some sections that the grout is even with the tile and not lower like most?

Was just down there for lunch and as I put my hand and rub over, my hand is like dust/white.... If I can wipe/clean down, I'll just do it myself if it is quick and I won't ruin.
Thanks

Old 04-02-09, 12:57 PM
Hi dcanesdbs & Johnny,

dcanesdbs, that's an unusually first name......I'm spitting all over myself trying to pronounce it!

It is not the rule written in stone that the tile setter is supposed to do the final cleanup in many/most (?) parts of the country. It all depends on local customs. In other words how much $$$ the tile setter is able to charge.

In most cases the customer would rather do the final, rather than pay the tile guy to do something as simple as washing the floor. Why pay someone $55 per hr. to do something worth $20? If the customer doesn't want to or can't, the final clean up and sealing can be sold as an option.

Jaz

Old 04-02-09, 01:32 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Jaz
He was back today and damp sponged it down again but it still looks 'hazy' and 'dusty'?
If its as simple as washing the floor then yeah, agreed. It didnt sound that way though. Not my style though, when I'm done, so is the job, nothing for the homeowner to do. I will say though that its often the case that the homeowner would rather seal the tile and grout rather than pay me to do it.

Old 04-02-09, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Jaz

If its as simple as washing the floor then yeah, agreed. It didnt sound that way though. Not my style though, when I'm done, so is the job, nothing for the homeowner to do. I will say though that its often the case that the homeowner would rather seal the tile and grout rather than pay me to do it.
HAHAHA, you guys are correct and yes am paying him by the hour so it sounds like it would be best if I do..

So, back to that... What/hw is the best to clean/wipe down?

...and also back to the grout lines being higher in some areas? Just let it go?? No way to really fix now since it's been a week sine the grout was installed?!

Old 04-02-09, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by dcanesdbs View Post
HAHAHA, you guys are correct and yes am paying him by the hour so it sounds like it would be best if I do..

So, back to that... What/hw is the best to clean/wipe down?

...and also back to the grout lines being higher in some areas? Just let it go?? No way to really fix now since it's been a week sine the grout was installed?!
Update:
The installer is down there now grouting the bath and foyer... Asked him about the some of the grout lines that are higher and almost level to the tile and he said that is how the tile is... Some of the tile, how it is laid and the size can be a little off and not perfect and therefore some of the grout lines might be a little higher then some others... Oh well....

Old 04-02-09, 03:56 PM
Johnny,

You're right if there's some unusually problem with the work, I can't tell from here. That is a different issue.

Maybe I changed the subject about the cleanup (?) but it all depends on what is customary in the areas that the work is being done.

If you get $5 per ft. to set porcelain with a standard glazed finish over concrete, (300-500 ft.) & it is customary to also do the final haze removal and sealing of the grout, that is fine if everyone in NJ would do the same.

That doesn't mean that I should do the same when I am only charging $3.50 a ft, here. The tile setters almost never do the final haze cleanup UNLESS he has sold the customer that function and also sealing the tiles or grout. Most people can do it themselves. This applies to residential work cuz the customer want to save a buck. Commercial work is different.

Jaz

Old 04-04-09, 01:51 PM
I have been damp sponging the tile/grout twice since it has been set and it seems like the grout is getting darker. I just want to make sure I won't 'ruin' the grout by wiping down and damp sponging. I have not sealed it yet.

Also, I noticed some glue on some of the bath tiles. Have any recommendations on removing without ruining the tile?

Thanks