Tiling over concrete

Old 04-02-09, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling over concrete

We are wanting to put tile down in our small laundry room instead of the 1970's linoleum. We removed the linoleum and have found that the concrete has cracked and it looks like they tried to fix it long ago. Also the cement has large broken areas that they tried to fix also but, after sweeping it was chipping away and revealing the holes.

So first off I am to scrape all the glue off (do i just use a paint scraper) , dig out the old filler for the holes? When i level out the floor should i just use the leveler to fill in the holes or something else? Also what should i use to fill in the cracks? What type of leveler should I use? How am i to measure how unlevel the concrete is when my level is only a foot long?

I am a complete newb to this as this is our first home. I am using this room as my learning room before we do our kitchen.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-09, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
How am i to measure how unlevel the concrete is when my level is only a foot long?
The floor doesn't have to be level, it has to be FLAT. You can use anything that is flat to measure that.
Also what should i use to fill in the cracks?
What type of cracking here? One side of the crack isn't higher then the other, is it?

If you do continue with tile, I would suggest a crack isolation membrane, like Noble CIS:

Sheet Membranes for Waterproofing, Crack Isolation and Sound Isolation

You thinset can fill in some of the defects in the slab.

Old 04-02-09, 09:55 PM
We used planipatch to fill in the holes and cracks. The cracks aren't major, only big issues were some of the gashes in the cement and the seperation area between two slabs which was previously filled but while scraping the glue off it broke and pulled out the filler so also used the planipatch to fill that in. Ran out of time today but go back and sand down the high spots tomorrow then place the MAPEprime 1K down followed by the Ultaplan easy. Hopefully after that should be smooth sailing?

One thing i found out they were generous with the 8-10 set time for the planipatch, more like 5-6 min! But we still got all the spots covered.

I did the planipatch before i read your post, should i still look at doing the Noble CIS?