Intersection of wall and floor tile

Old 04-05-09, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intersection of wall and floor tile

I have a 1954 bathroom and the entire wall is tiled in 4 inch pink tile with black accents. At the bottom of the wall there is a transition tile which is curved to meet the floor tile. This is a special tile which you don't see much these of days, because obviously it takes some talent to get it to look good where it meets the floor. (The tiler did a very good job.)

I am thinking about having the wall recovered to change the color, and then chiseling out the floor tile, which is the old mosaic tile (in blue and black with white grout).

Black & White Pinwheel (Spiral) Pattern- Lyric™ Porcelain Mosaic Tile - PC0209

Then I want to put back in the mosaic tile (the same kind, but in black and white - see link.

I figure if I get the same kind of tile, then it will be the same thickness and would therefore meet this special wall tile. I have tiled a bathroom floor with ceramic mosaic tile and shower wall with glass mosaic tile. But I did not have to worry about meeting an existing wall tile. In fact we put wood molding where it met the wall. (Oh, and I have tile saw too.)

Does this sound doable? Am I forgetting something? And no I have never chiseled out tile. This is in a upstairs bathroom, so the surface under the tile is not concrete. I guess it must be plywood or whatever they had in 1954.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-09, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You will be better off, since you are changing the wall and floor tile, to rip it all out, including the wall base, which is probably sheetrock. It is always best to start with a clean slate and build it the way you want. You will lay down concrete backer underlayment on your wood floor, attaching it properly and then tile the floor. After it is set, lay in your wall tile. It will tend to take care of the joint, so all you will have to do is grout and apply silicone.

Old 04-06-09, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
not doing the whole bath

The reason I don't want to do the whole bath is because we plan to move in 1-3 years and in this real estate market it is not worth it. There are short sale homes in my area. So I was thinking of getting some sort of coating on the walls and bathtub, but that still leaves the blue/black floor.

I can't rip up the wall base tile without really making it look bad. Then there would be a 3 inch place where there is no tile.

In fact I wanted the coating to cover only the pink tile and show the black tile so in the end I would have a white tile with black trim bathroom, sort of 1940's looking, but not offensive with all the colors that are in the bathroom now.