laminate-like tile?

Old 04-17-09, 11:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
laminate-like tile?

We want to replace the old tile in our foyer with something new. We're thinking slate. I saw on one of the home shows on tv recently some kind of laminate tile that locks together similar to laminate wood floors. It goes over a special rollout underlayment that looked like gold foil. The tiles have bevelled edges, and once it's all down you put a grout down to fill the gaps.

Anybody heard of such a thing? I went to the shows website but couldn't find any info on it. It seems to me that if the floor even moves minutely the grout will eventually crack. Maybe it's flexible. Or maybe the special under thing has something to do with it.

Anyways, I'm not sold on it yet, I just want to find out some more info.

Old 04-17-09, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Don't think I would either. I did my kitchen at my rental cabin the other day with a slate colored laminate that was a click lock from the Orange big box. Man it looks like real slate. I did one thing against the rules, though. I installed it directly over linoleum without a cushion. I wanted the slate to "feel" like slate, not laminate, so it feels solid without the "give" of the cushion. Not much traffic, and I can replace it for less than $50, so it works.

Old 04-19-09, 08:44 AM
I did a little more poking around on this and found out that it's called Snapstone. The tiles snap together and the grout is flexible so it will resist cracking if there is any movement. I don't know why they used some kind of padding under it on the show I saw (which I saw again this morning) because the manufacturer says it can go over any hard surface. As long as the floor is hard and pretty level it should work fine.

Old 04-19-09, 12:19 PM
J
Originally Posted by Crocostimpy
I did a little more poking around on this and found out that it's called Snapstone. The tiles snap together and the grout is flexible so it will resist cracking if there is any movement. I don't know why they used some kind of padding under it on the show I saw (which I saw again this morning) because the manufacturer says it can go over any hard surface. As long as the floor is hard and pretty level it should work fine.
Check out the Mannington Adura line, I think they have a groutable product like your talking about. I've heard good things about the Adura line.

Jamie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: