Tile Shower Project

Old 04-13-09, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile Shower Project

I'm helping a friend who is putting a bathroom in an unfinished basement. Concrete floor. I've done a few projects on my own, which qualifies me as his expert. Ouch.

He has an acryllic shower base that the plumber is going to set in place. I assume the base sets in thinset, or would just some construction adhesive suffice? Once the base is set against the studs (already in place) My recollection is
1) Plastic Sheething then Wonderboard to about 1/8th inch from the top of the shower base.
2) Wonderboard gets mudded at the seams and corners to seal. Silicone in the gap between Wonderboard and top of shower base.
3) He wants to use 12 x 12 tile on the shower walls. I've never laid a tile that big vertically. I'm concerned about the weight. What type of thinset would you use to avoid the tile falling or sliding?
4) Grout betwwen the tiles, Caulk at the wall intersections, and where the tile meets the shower base.

I'm pretty much fearless, especially when it's not my house, but he does let me play golf at his course for free, so I'd like to look competent.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-09, 03:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Install the base per manufacturers instructions. Most say to install on mortar.

Everything else sounds good.

Use a good quality thinset, like Versabond or Flexbond from HD or a Mapei/Lacticrete product from Lowes. Don't use anything in a bucket.

The tiles won't go anywhere when you put them up. I typically start my shower walls one row up from the bottom. I screw a piece a piece of lumbar level one course up, and install the tiles on top of this. This ensures the tiles are perfectly level.

Old 04-16-09, 02:56 PM
Keeping to one thread per project here...

I'm only tiling the walls for the shower, and my buddy bought a 13 x 13 closeout tile. No bullnoses or end pieces. I usually buy the kind that has complementary pieces to keep my freelancing to a minimum. On the edge of the tile that will be visible to people in the bathroom, would you just buy a caulk that matches the grout and run a thick, well manicured bead along the edge?

Old 04-16-09, 04:23 PM
I would find a bull nose that complimented the tile, but if that's out of the question, I would use color matching caulk.

Old 04-17-09, 12:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Check out the Schluter trim here.

Schluter-QUADEC - Schluter-Systems

Old 04-17-09, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mark, another way to terminate without an eyesore is to cut the last tile at an angle on edge and rub the edge with the grout you will be using. Seems to tone down the edge of the tile somewhat. May not work in all situations.