Where to find premixed Latex based thinset?

Old 01-27-08, 05:25 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Where to find premixed Latex based thinset?

Hi,

I'm planning to install a glass tile kitchen back splash.
I was told to use Latex based thinnest. I'm having a hard time to find premixed latex based thinset in local tile stores and the big retailers (HD, Menards, Lowes,...).

I was wondering if anyone here knows if some products they carry might be Latex based:

http://custombuildingproducts.com/Pr...er=diy&lang=en

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=arc&lang=en

"Tile Perfect" Thinset at HD. Can't find it online.

Old 01-27-08, 05:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Hi!

This site sells some:

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u168564 (You can get it for WAY cheaper other places)

You also can get a decent thinset like versabond and add in the liquid latex that is normally in the same aisle.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 01-27-08 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 05:56 PM
D
How about the premixed stuff? Does usually have Latex?

Old 01-27-08, 06:04 PM
premixed thinset is crap......in fact....it's not even thinset, it's more of an adhesive.

You might get away with using the AcryPro from HD, but we'll wait for more responses.

Old 01-27-08, 06:46 PM
J
Hi 05,

Those products are both JUNK! They're only usable with ceramic tile in dry areas, such as a backsplash. But NOT glass tiles.

You were told correctly, you need a high quality latex or polymer modified thinset mortar, which only comes in powder form. It'll say right on the bag that it's good with glass tiles. By definition, thinset mortar HAS TO contain Portland cement, which of course can not be mixed and then put in to a container for future use. The adhesive manufacturers are not telling the truth.

You should ask advice from who ever sold you the tiles and buy the proper materials that they recommend. You have to be very careful when at any of those stores you mentioned. Most of those nice people in the flooring dept. have no idea what round they're in. With a few exceptions, very few!

Jaz................

Old 01-27-08, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by JazMan
You have to be very careful when at any of those stores you mentioned. Most of those nice people in the flooring dept. have no idea what round they're in. With a few exceptions, very few!

Jaz................

Old 01-28-08, 06:13 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Many of the glass tile manufacturers have a list of recommended thinsets that can be used with their tile. They will give you specific thinsets manufacturer and product. Go to the manufacturers website and find out which thinsets they recommend. If you bought the tile from a reputable tile store they'll know the right thinsets to use. There are no premixed thinsets that should be used with glass tile.

Old 01-30-08, 05:34 PM
D
Well, things are confusing. Our (online http://www.susanjablonmosaics.com/) tile supplier has a premixed latex thin set. They say it is TEC. I contacted Tec and they don't have any. There is a sister company that does things like SimpleTile and so on. Apparently, it contains Latex. However, they didn't recommend it either for Glass tiles. I guess I'm ending up mixing it after all!

Old 01-30-08, 06:10 PM
J
When installing glass tiles, mixing the stinkin thinset will be the least of your worries. It's a pain if you're getting paid for it, so it'll be fun for you.

Jaz

Old 01-31-08, 06:06 AM
H
No premixed anything will work here. Below is a list of thinsets from the Oceanside website that they recommend for their glass tile. Anyone of them should work. Ive used the TEC superflex for glass many times, no problems. I'm not sure what your concerns are about mixing thinset. It aint all that hard.

• Custom Building Products: Premium Plus Thin-Set Mortar mixed with Custom Flex Ultra-Strength Thin-Set Additive
• Custom Building Products*: 50% Universal Tile Setting Adhesive, 50% Premium Plus mixed with 100% Custom Flex
Ultra-Strength Thin-Set Additive
• Custom Building Products: Mega Flex Ultimate Thin-Set Mortar
• Laticrete: 317 Thin-Set Powder mixed with Laticrete 333 add-mix
• Mapei: Kerabond Premium Dry-Set Mortar (KER 102) mixed with Keralastic Mortar Admix (KER 310)
• TEC (H.B. Fuller): Super Flex Premium Performance Universal Latex-Modified Thin-Set Mortar
(no admixture is necessary)
• Flextile: 52 Versatile Floor Mortar (no admixture is necessary)

Old 01-31-08, 06:55 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just for the ammusmant, check out the site posted above. Scroll down the left side and click tile accessories.

$68 for a 25 lb bag of Tec Grout

$9 for one of those QEP throw away trowels, a 3/16" v-notch with the advice "Use the flat edge to spread thinset and grout and to remove excess materials from the surface of tiles."

I guess I'll throw my floats away. I can just use the flat side of any of my trowels

Old 01-31-08, 10:38 AM
H
Interesting site. Do those prices include shipping and handling.

Check out this page on the site. Now I know why the op was looking for premixed thinset.

http://www.susanjablonmosaics.com/gl...s.html?panel=1

Wow, my advice to go to the manufacturers website to find out what thinsets to use wasn't such good advice. This scares the crap out of me.

Old 01-31-08, 06:24 PM
D
Shipping is extra. However, I have to state that I did a lot of research for such glass tiles. It is one of the better deals out there. Local stores here are way more expensive and have not the selection.

Old 02-01-08, 06:41 AM
H
Destructo

Thats OK, just dont use mastic or premixed thinset for glass tile.

Old 02-01-08, 07:18 AM
C
Received 350 Upvotes on 293 Posts
From the linked site .....

Grout is a tacky adhesive substance used to fill the spaces between tiles and attach sheets of tile to the surfaces that they are installed on.

Sounds like thinset or mastic isn't needed. Just attach the tile sheets with grout!

Old 02-01-08, 07:56 AM
OK I was ignoring this but now I have to go look.

Unfortunately that website is one of the many that are laced with bad information, and NO, according to her you don't need tile adhesive in some cases, grout alone will install glass tiles. I hope no one believes that.

MOST ALL GLASS TILES REQUIRE THE USE OF POWER ADHESIVE TYPE THINSETS.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 02-01-08 at 08:07 AM. Reason: updating
Old 02-01-08, 05:24 PM
J
Bud meant to write "POWDER" not POWER. He didn't notice because he was yelling after reading the dumb instructions at that site.

This internet can be dangerous!!

Jaz

Old 02-02-08, 04:13 AM
T
Bud meant to write "POWDER" not POWER.

Oh, I thought it was Nebraskaneese again.

By the way, welcome back Bud. We now have a moderator type friend amogst us who has no problems going back and editing posts giving bad info. He even edited a post from one of your favorite mods the other day.

Old 02-02-08, 11:52 AM
I'm sure I'll do something to make someone here mad at me and I'll again get banned. I've been banned several times from this place as you know. If the moderators know what they are talking about we'll get along fine but you know how that goes.

Old 04-21-09, 07:44 AM
F
Question I went to the site recommended here and...

on the TEC thinset, it said:

Can Use TS# 168-812 Acrylic Mortar Additive to Mix Mortar Rather Then Water to Enhance Performance Characteristics.

what does that mean: "enhance performance characteristics"

All I want is something that won't yellow and therefore change the color of the glass tile after I have spent the hours installing the back splash or shower surround. And the adhesion is good, so it won't fall off the wall.

Also, I hear pros and cons on using the grid to build flat and then put on wall in square foot sections. What is your take?

Old 04-21-09, 08:05 AM
H
Im not sure what tec thinset you bought. Im guessing its either Sturdi Set or Full Set Plus, yes. They are unmodified mortars. The Full Set Plus would be the better one to use with glass, and the additive is a must, not an option. Most glass manufacturers have a list of approved thinsets for their products. You should check with yours to see what they recommend. Many glass manufacturers will list Tec Superflex as an acceptable thinset. This is a bagged modified thinset that you just add water to, the additives are already in the mix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: