TEC Fullflex question?

Old 04-15-09, 04:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
TEC Fullflex question?

If I mix a full bag of TEC Fullflex, how long do I have to use it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-09, 08:02 AM
Hi Sandman,

First of all, why do you want to mix the entire bag at once? I suppose you could (?) I think it would yield more than would fit in a 5 gal pail though? I try to work out of a 3.5 gal bucket if possible. Much easier, the 5 is too deep. A 3.5 holds about 35 lb. of mixed material.

How long will it last in the pail once mixed? That will vary depending on how you mixed it, the ambient conditions. Including temp. humidity, wind etc. You should stir the thinset every 15 min. when not using it. Could last 3 hours maybe.

What are you setting and over what?

Jaz

Old 04-15-09, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hi Sandman,

First of all, why do you want to mix the entire bag at once? I suppose you could (?) I think it would yield more than would fit in a 5 gal pail though? I try to work out of a 3.5 gal bucket if possible. Much easier, the 5 is too deep. A 3.5 holds about 35 lb. of mixed material.

How long will it last in the pail once mixed? That will vary depending on how you mixed it, the ambient conditions. Including temp. humidity, wind etc. You should stir the thinset every 15 min. when not using it. Could last 3 hours maybe.

What are you setting and over what?

Jaz
Hi Jaz,

The thin set is to be used for a glass tile backsplash. The reason I mentioned to mix the whole bag is I felt more comfortable following the directions, 1 bag to 1 to 1 1/4 gallon of water then using a portion of the bag(estimating) and then mixing. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Old 04-15-09, 10:05 AM
You'll have enough thinset to do about 8 or so average backsplashes, forget that idea.

Working with glass tile is a hemorrhoid even for an experienced tile setter, depending on the size and thickness of your glass I would start by mixing about 5 lb. or so. That should cover 15 sq. ft. or so.

I used to use Full Flex all the time, good stuff. I just checked their site for more info concerning glass tile installations. Nothing mentioned about glass. Nice looking site, but short on info as compared to other manufacturers.

Jaz

Old 04-15-09, 10:13 AM
You'll have enough thinset to do about 8 or so average backsplashes, forget that idea.

Working with glass tile is a hemorrhoid even for an experienced tile setter, depending on the size and thickness of your glass I would start by mixing about 5 lb. or so. That should cover 15 sq. ft. or so.

I used to use Full Flex all the time, good stuff. I just checked their site for more info concerning glass tile installations. Nothing mentioned about glass. Nice looking site, but short on info as compared to other manufacturers.

Jaz
I knew it would be alot, i am just want to make sure I get the right consistency. The overall square footage is 28sq/ft. The tile is 12 by 12 sheets. Each tile measure 3/4 by 3/4. Looks pretty straight fwd. Any advice? How can I tell a nice consistency? THANKS MUCH!

Old 04-15-09, 12:01 PM
Mixing it exactly the way it says on the bag is no guarantee it'll be just right. There are small variations from batch to batch and the temperature and humidity level does influence the results.

Do the math and pour the right amount of water into an empty bucket and slowly add thinset. Mixing as you go. Mix it at a slow speed if you're using a mixer. The mix should be about the consistency of peanut butter or mashed potatoes (with not lumps), mix for about 2 minutes max. Let slake (sit there), for whatever it tells you on the bag, then remix. You should be able to scoop some on to a trowel, flip it upside down, and it'll not fall off the trowel.

Jaz

Old 04-15-09, 12:11 PM
Jaz,

Thanks! This forum has really helped me out in the DIY stuff. Hopefully this install goes smoothly..... Any other advice, feel free to advise.

Old 04-15-09, 12:11 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Don't try to mix the whole bag at once. About 1/3 of a bag at a time is good. As has been said, the 3.5 gallon bucket is a lot easier to work with.

Old 04-15-09, 12:17 PM
He is doing under 30 ft. Likely use well under 10 lbs. total?

Are these tiles translucent? How are they mounted, mesh on back or paper on face?

Jaz

Old 04-15-09, 12:20 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Funny stuff. Then definitely don't mix the whole bag at once

Old 04-15-09, 12:23 PM

Are these tiles translucent? How are they mounted, mesh on back or paper on face?

Jaz
I promise, I won't mix the whole bag..... These are glass colored tiles. I will be using a white thinset. They are mounted with a myalar face. Thanks! Any more advice?

Old 04-15-09, 05:18 PM
So the face of the tiles are covered with Mylar? You never answered whether the tiles are translucent or opaque? Do they have a white backing?

Jaz

Old 04-15-09, 05:49 PM
So the face of the tiles are covered with Mylar? You never answered whether the tiles are translucent or opaque? Do they have a white backing?

Jaz
Yes, the front is is clear MYLAR type film. No white backing. Sorry about that....

Old 04-15-09, 09:12 PM
I give up!

Do you think I am asking about translucent or opaque for no reason?

Jaz

Old 04-16-09, 04:29 AM
Jaz,

Sorry about that. I have three kids and respond to the questions while running around with them. They are translucent. Here is a link, they are the Copper Canyon.

Jeffrey Court - A California Tile Maker & Purveyor of Fine Decorative Stone Elements
Once again, thanks for the assistance.

Old 04-16-09, 09:09 AM
Three kids? So.....why are they loose?

OK, translucent. Be sure to follow the directions especially about "knocking-down" the ridges of the white modified thin set. Also soak the sheets for 15 seconds as they say. Expect the installation to take 2-3 x what you thought it might take, and ship the kids to their favorite relative.Beer 4U2

Jaz

Old 04-16-09, 12:13 PM
Jaz,

THANKS! Trust me, the kids will be not be around during install. I will photo it and try and post it up here. THANKS AGAIN!

Old 04-22-09, 05:47 AM
Tiling Question regarding thiniset.

First, thanks to all those that have helped in my prior questions. Two NEW questions. I did the tiling job yesterday, came out pretty good. First problem, the tiles were on mylar, so when I applied them there was thinset showing through on the grout lines. How do I remove that? Also, when removing the mylar, some tiles came off? Best way to get them back on? Butter them? Thanks!

Old 04-22-09, 02:18 PM
Sandman,

Please do NOT start a new thread each time you have a question concerning an on-going project/thread. Gotta keep all the info in one place.

Remove the excess thinset any way you can. Probably an utility knife? Replace the tiles by buttering yes. Nails won't work. Did you soak the sheets just before you set them into the thinset to weaken the mylar to tile bond?

Jaz

Old 04-22-09, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Merged the two threads. ...........................

Old 04-22-09, 03:55 PM
Sandman,

Please do NOT start a new thread each time you have a question concerning an on-going project/thread. Gotta keep all the info in one place.

Remove the excess thinset any way you can. Probably an utility knife? Replace the tiles by buttering yes. Nails won't work. Did you soak the sheets just before you set them into the thinset to weaken the mylar to tile bond?

Jaz
Jaz,

Sorry about the new thread. I got a grout knife, and the thin set started to come out. Easier then I thought. As far as the tiles coming off. It looks to me like(after I they came off) there was little to no thin set on the back of the tiles. I was careful when applying the thin set. My guess looking back is that I was so scared of applying to much, I put to little. Jaz, thanks much again. Drinks on me when in NY Beer 4U2!

Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Merged the two threads. ...........................
Sorry about that, Thanks for the merge.