removing tile floor

Old 04-17-09, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing tile floor

We want to remove the whitish tile in our foyer and replace it with something newer looking. Short of a jackhammer, what's the best way of removing the old tile? I was thinking a nice wide cold chisel and a small handheld sledge. Is there a better way?

Once the tile is up, there looks to be a 1/4" of something on top of the original plywood. I assuming I should pull up the 1/4" of whatever, but if it's glued down I may have to try to clean the tile adhesive off to either reuse it or cover it with something else. Any tips for that?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-09, 11:11 AM
That 1/4" stuff might be cement backer board? I can't tell from here, you'll have to confirm that. If it is tile backer, and it's in good shape and if it was installed correctly with thinset mortar under it etc., then maybe you can go over it?

You need to identify what it is, then post back. Don't be sanding or scraping, unless you know it's safe.

Jaz

Old 05-04-09, 12:05 PM
Ok, so I finally got all of the tile up. The top layer of the underlayment was 1/4" of something. It was dark brownish. Not sure what it's called. I remember seeing it under model train layouts when I was a kid. It sort of had a tiny grid layout on the surface. I didn't think I would be able to get all of the old glue or whatever off of it so I just tore it up. It was only stapled down so it came up fairly easily.

What I'm left with is 3/4" plywood. The floor joists are 2x12 (I'm guessing that would be the proper size; they measure 11" tall). I forgot to measure the spacing. From what I've read I should have about 1-1/4" of underlayment before I put down the tile. My only problem with that is if I put down 3/4" more plywood, then the thinset and tile, the floor will be substantially taller than the neighboring floors. Maybe on the order of 5/8" or more. I don't mind a transition but I don't want a step!

Anyways, what are recommendations for the rest of the underlayment? The floor seems pretty solid and flat. The previous tile had no cracks or loose grout, considering it was probably about 10-15 years old.

Almost forgot. New tile will most likely be 12x12" porcelain tile.

Old 05-04-09, 03:30 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Croco

No need to add another layer of 3/4" plywood. Adding more plywood is always a good idea, but not necessary here. If your existing 3/4" plywood is in good shape, you can install 1/4" cement board over it, then the tile. This assumes your floor joists are no further apart than 16" on center. Make sure you follow the cement board manufacturers installation instructions.

Old 05-05-09, 12:00 PM
That's good news. I'll check the joist spacing.