Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

I messed up ceramic tile by painting wth oil base paint- Need help

Old 06-04-09, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I painted this down on Monday, because I hate the light gray. It was pretty, but it started to bubble and was not drying. I got it off the internet who said how to paint it. Now I have tried to fix it by scraping it ( not easy), then I put Goo Gone and tried to scrub it off with steel wool or 3-M pad. Now it is dry in some places and won't come up. So part of my floor is still dark charcoal gray, other parts are back to light gray with streaks or pieces of dark gray not coming up. Need help as I thought of just putting cheap flooring down and take the tile up, or who knows what. I am made I tried this and now stuck with this mess in kitchen and part of dining room. Also I am in AZ. so no humidity.
Thank you,
Kellie

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-09, 02:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Welcome to the forums Kellie!

If I understand correctly, you painted your tile floor with oil enamel?

Lacquer thinner along with a lot of elbow grease should remove the remaining paint off of the tile but probably not off of all the grout. Be sure to have plenty of fresh air ventilation when using solvents!!