questions about leveling

Old 06-05-09, 03:22 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
questions about leveling

I'm wanting to tile a bathroom & an adjacent washer/dryer closet. I had to take up floor due to rot & prior owner plumbing. Subfloor is 3/4 Georgia Pacific tongue & groove Sturdifloor. I started leveling with Henry 547 universal skimcoat & patch w/546 featheredge primer. I was trying to match up with hardwood floor. I found out the thinset couldn't be used on hardwood. I already cut 2 rolls of Ditra for the two rooms, so I took up the rest of the hardwood floor. My floor I'm tiling is all 3/4 sturdifloor with henry skimcoat over most. I still have spots that are still needing to be level. I've been told wrong things about the installation of the Ditra from one's at Home Depot. I didn't put no wire mesh on the floor with the skimcoat since it didn't call for it like the levelPro. I would have use the levelpro, but package stated not to use it on osb. Do I need to just grind down & start from scratch, or keep trying with the skimcoat? The last suggestion I was given by rep at Home Depot was put down backerboard then the Ditra. I need to get done as quick as possible, or my pregnant wife will go insane.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-09, 03:08 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backerboard AND Ditra (both) is a waste of money, that's not the way to do it at all.

You can use Level Pro on OSB IF you use the primer. The primer must always be used prior to installing a Self Leveller like Level Pro.

ALL the levelling must be done BEFORE the DITRA, DITRA will not follow any contours.

Be careful getting information from those guys at the big box stores, most of them have no idea how it's supposed to be done.

Old 06-12-09, 06:19 AM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
While there are now a few self leveling underlayments on the market that can be used over osb, LevelPro does not appear to be one of them. Is you decide to use slc, use one that specifically says it can be used over osb.