Ceramic Tile, Mastic, and Asbestos??

Old 06-12-09, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic Tile, Mastic, and Asbestos??

Hello all,

I have begun to remodel my bathroom and I am wondering the answer to a few questions.

First, the ceramic tile is fairly old (house was build in 1956, so it could be as old as that?) and under it is some sort of gray cement type adhesive stuff. My question is could this stuff, the ceramic tile and/or the cement adhesive (mastic?) contain asbestos? I started chipping out the tiles with a screw driver and hammer and I was able to get most of them out in one piece. I know asbestos is most dangerous airborne and there was hardly any visible dust when I did this.

This is very concerning to me because I have 2 small children and a pregnant wife. (I'm kicking them out of the house tomorrow, while I tackle the rest of the flooring).

I would insert a picture of it, but I can't figure out how to.

Thanks, James

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-09, 08:25 PM

Old 06-23-09, 12:34 PM
Not just asbestos

While there is a slim chance of asbestos, the higher probability is that the tile glaze has a high amount of lead, which is bad for children and expecting mothers.

The work area should be sealed off and use precaution not to spread the contamination outside that room.

Old 06-23-09, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sledge, chisel, air chipper hammer, whatever it takes. No issues of asbestos or anything else you should worry about. Wear eye protection and a dust mask, thats it.

Pregnant, ahh, better if someone else does this.