spacing tile on shower curb

Old 06-27-09, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spacing tile on shower curb

I am using 1" square mosiac tiles on the shower floor, and 4x4 on the wall. Neither of these work real well on the curb (especially as my floor is uneven on the outside of the curb). I got some 12"x12" slate tiles that I am going to custom cut.

Here is my issue. The curb is 49" long. I am using 1/8th" gap everywhere else. If I do that on the curb, I end up with about 1/2" gap between the tiles and the walls. I can go up to 1/4" gaps, and while I don't like the look, the gap at the wall closes up a bit, but not really enough (this is only adding 3/4" inch) as I woul like to have the curb tiles under the wall tiles to help support them.

Any ideas?

I am thinking about just cutting some small pieces to put at either end, but that will look wierd. I also might cut the 12" into shorter segments (maybe 4" to match the wall) and space them evenly.

Thanks!
~john

Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-09, 07:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
John, I used some 16" travertine for a curb once and it looked just fine. It is a bear to cut if your blade isn't perfect. Any vibration on that large a piece of travertine will crack it. I would up breaking 2 pieces on the overhead saw and had to revert to the table type saw for the remainder.

Old 06-27-09, 11:30 PM
John,

I don't see how you can be 1/2" short of the wall if you're using 1" tiles. Just shift the tiles 1/2" and you'll have full tiles on both sides. The same principle works with any size tiles. You don't install small pieces, you shift the tiles by half their size and then you'll have larger tiles. There is also no need to have tiles under other tiles to support them. You can use spacers, pieces of cardboard for that.

Jaz

Old 06-28-09, 01:56 PM
I guess I didn't describe it very well. I shouldn't have even mentioned the 1" tiles. I am dealing with the curb at the moment. I want to have a smooth as a surface as possible for the shower door, and the dimensions of the curb did not lend well to either the floor or the wall tile. The curb top is about 49" x 5 1/4." Here is a pic:

For the curb, I have some slate 12"x12" tiles that I am going to cut into 12" x 5 1/4" pieces to custom fit the curb. If I stay with the 12" length, I end up with the large grout joint by the wall.

Old 06-28-09, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Cut your tile to 5 1/4 x 7". That way it will work out even. Or use 16" tile.

Old 06-28-09, 08:08 PM
Slate on a shower curb? How is that going to look in 6 months?

Jaz

Old 06-29-09, 11:40 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
12" tile. Measure to the center of the curb, and mark a line. Now measure 6" over from the center line. That is where you start your first tile. You'll end up with 3 full 12" tiles in the middle and approx 6" to 6 1/2" on each end.

Since you are cutting the slate to size, you obviously have other options.

As Jazman is pointing out, slate is not a good choice in wet areas.