Multi colored slate floor problem

Old 06-30-09, 12:35 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Multi colored slate floor problem

I have a 1 1/2 year old shower floor and walls that are multi colored slate. It was installed properly and sealed twice. I can provide the install details if need be.

Problem....... Lately I noticed an odd odor coming from the bathroom. Upon further inspection I noticed what looked like mold and discoloration(some hard water stains) on some of the tiles mainly in the corners of the shower. I was able to scrape off a brown substance off 3 of the tiles and where I scraped seemed to leave an indent in the tile. It seems like maybe I'm getting soft spots on the tiles. Does anyone know what is happening ????

I'm thinking that I will use bleach or like to clean the shower and then leave a fan to blow on the shower to completely dry it and then reseal. Anybody have any suggestions??? Also, I need some advice on a sealer to use??? I've seen Man-o-war sealer at Home depot. Thanks

Old 06-30-09, 01:34 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Where did you get this slate? How much per sq ft did you pay for it? What do you know about it's origin.

Old 06-30-09, 01:41 PM
H
Odors are usually caused by sitting water that is not draining properly, clogged weepholes, no preslope etc. What do you know about the construction of the pan. Is there a preslope under the pan liner?

Old 06-30-09, 03:15 PM
F
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny
Odors are usually caused by sitting water that is not draining properly, clogged weepholes, no preslope etc. What do you know about the construction of the pan. Is there a preslope under the pan liner?
The pan was poured, sloped and tested. Funny you say about standing water. The odor seems to be worse when it's humid. I've never smelled a odor like it.

Old 06-30-09, 04:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What type of thinset was used? Sounds like cheap slate to me...Home Depot or Lowes?

Old 07-01-09, 01:52 PM
F
Lowes on the slate, I'm not sure of the thinset, but, it was a mason who did the slope

Old 07-02-09, 05:42 AM
H
When you say slope, I'm not sure what you mean. There should be two "slopes", a preslope under the liner and then a sloped mud bed over the liner. Do you have both? If not, there lies your problem. See this link on how a shower pan should be built.

Building a shower pan with pre-sloped mortar bed, liner and curb.

Old 07-02-09, 06:16 AM
F
That's what we have. A sloped base, membrane about 8 inches up the wall, sloped mortar/concrete on top of membrane, tile and thinset.

I'm not sure the odor isn't coming from tile and the soft discolored parts.

What do you guys think of the bleaching and sealing idea?????

Old 07-02-09, 08:46 AM
H
Can you post a few pictures so we can see what you are dealing with?

Old 07-02-09, 12:33 PM
F
Can't really see too much, except that's its dull and stained!!! Thanks for your help!!!!

Pictures by feihin - Photobucket

Old 07-02-09, 02:09 PM
I think the issue is with the tile. Lowes/Homers slate is usually the lowest of quality.

Does any water pool in the pan when you are done, or does it all drain out?

Old 07-02-09, 02:40 PM
F
Yes, no pooling that I can tell. Prior to tile install all water drained also!!!

Old 07-02-09, 03:46 PM
Hopefully your drain weep holes (in the mud bed) are not clogged, allowing water to puddle and mold under the tile.

I would start by removing the caulking/grout in the affected area, allow to dry, then apply some color matching 100% silicone.

Also, when you do seal the shower, use a good quality sealer. Don't use that junk from the big box store. The only decent stuff I know HD sells is the Impregnator 411. Look for some StoneTech or Aquamix.

Old 07-02-09, 04:04 PM
F
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
Hopefully your drain weep holes (in the mud bed) are not clogged, allowing water to puddle and mold under the tile.

I would start by removing the caulking/grout in the affected area, allow to dry, then apply some color matching 100% silicone.

Also, when you do seal the shower, use a good quality sealer. Don't use that junk from the big box store. The only decent stuff I know HD sells is the Impregnator 411. Look for some StoneTech or Aquamix.

Thanks......... I can access the drain from the basement. Maybe I'll poke around and see if I can access the weeps hole with a piece of wire and small mirror. For some reason and I could be wrong, but, I think I remember something about p gravel to keep the weep holes free.

Old 07-02-09, 04:09 PM
You won't be able too. The drain weep holes are on top of the shower liner and in the top mud bed.

If your shower was constructed properly, the weep holes would be above the blue line in this photo:

Old 07-02-09, 04:27 PM
F
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
You won't be able too. The drain weep holes are on top of the shower liner and in the top mud bed.

If your shower was constructed properly, the weep holes would be above the blue line in this photo:

nice graphics.......thanks again!!!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: