Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

What type of thinset to use for Travertine tiles on ditra membrane?

Old 07-03-09, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

What type of thinset should I use for Travertine tiles on ditra membrane? Is it modified or non-modified? I read on Schluter website that is modified, but my understanding is that non-modified is stronger and holds better. The tiles will be going on our foyer floor so it will get a lot of traffic.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-09, 04:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Modified is better and should be used. HD has Versabond or Flexbond, and Lowes carriers Mapei products. All of them are good.

Old 07-03-09, 04:13 PM
Sorry, I meant Schluter says to use non-modified, but my understanding is I should use modified as it is stronger.

Old 07-03-09, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you go with unmodified, do NOT get the HD's "CustomBlend" thinset. This stuff is just dirt in a bag.

Old 07-03-09, 10:10 PM
How about we start over? You got the recommended thinsets backwards, and Mark had a brain fade.

You should use unmodified thinset to bond any tile to Ditra. Use whatever thinset is appropriate to the substrate to install Ditra.

But.....since you're installing travertine, you will want to check the framing and the entire subfloor system. Natural stone tile require a much stiffer subfloor than ceramic or porcelain and that is found in a normally built home. In other words, I will bet your subfloor is not suitable for travertine as is.

Let us know; the type and size of the joists, their spacing center-to-center, the unsupported span. Also try to find markings that would indicate the species & grade.

Jaz

Old 07-06-09, 09:11 AM
I went with the suggestion to use modified thinset as a few other people reco'd it as well. Now that you so it should be non-modified, am I going to be ok with what I used? Also in terms of the structure, I think I am should be ok as the unspported part is 8x8 and the joists are at 16 on centre 2x10s. And for the subfloors, when with 1" plywood.