Marble or wood in living room?

Old 07-05-09, 10:14 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Marble or wood in living room?

Hello,

My hallway is tiled with marble, which leads to the living room. What tiles do you recommend to use for the living room, wood or marble? which one is more convenient for a living room? We have to take into consideration that the hallway is marble.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-05-09, 10:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It is an opinionated answer, but definitely wood. You will tire quickly of the slick marble and cold feet. If your house is a relatively elegant art form with winding staircases to an exposed upper floor (sort of like in Gone with the Wind), then the marble would look just fine. If your house is a regular house, like most of ours, then wood.

Old 07-05-09, 11:48 PM
B
Hi Chandler,

I have an apartment, not a mansion . I love wood and I used it in the two bedrooms along with the hallway that leads to the bedrooms. The entrance hallway that leads to the living room and the guests room is seperated by a door when it reaches the bedrooms' hallway. As I mentioned, the entrance hallway is already tiled with marble along with the guests' room. My concern if I used wood in the living room, is that it will not be consistent.

Please, I need more inputs guys.

Old 07-06-09, 03:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why do you need consistency? Change from room to room makes each room an individual space with its own identity. Jail cells have the same color floor throughout. I think using the wood would be warmer, not only to the feel, but to the ambiance of the room. I think marble is too stark and uninviting to a living space.
One more thing......you said the magic word "apartment". Unless you have express written consent from the landlord, I'd be reluctant to make any changes. Those changes will have to be reversed before you leave, and it can be quite expensive.

Old 07-06-09, 04:16 AM
B
Thank you Chandler. I think I agree with you on choosing Wood flooring over marble. Its my own brand new apartment that is being floored. Thanks again.

Old 07-06-09, 04:03 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,262 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
Generally a lot more prep work needed with installing marble, including potentially raising the height quite a bit.

I wouldn't install either, but that's not what you asked....

Old 07-06-09, 09:54 PM
B
Hi mitch 17,

Just for curiosity, what would you install instead?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: