Grout Issue

Old 07-13-09, 04:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grout Issue

Murphy is back....I used unsanded grout in a 1/4 " gap. The bag said to use in 1/16 to 1/8" grout gap. I thought the person in Lowe's gave me good information, I certainly did not know. Grout job looks good but now there some drying crack appearing( hairline). I just grouted Sunday will I have any unforeseen issues with this problem. When I did a final wipe down today you can see the small hairline cracks when wet, other than that you cannot see anything wrong. Please advise FWIW the tile job is in a small bathroom. thanks George

Old 07-13-09, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to dig all that grout out. Sooner the better. You should have used sanded grout.

Old 07-13-09, 05:45 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Non sanded grout shrinks as it cures. Thats why its not recommended for larger grout joints. It'll probably shrink and crack a little more over the next week or so. You can wait to see what it looks like after its fully cured. If the cracks are pronouced, you may be able to force some fresh non sanded grout into them. You may have to do it over with sanded grout.

Old 07-13-09, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC
You need to dig all that grout out. Sooner the better. You should have used sanded grout.
As one would say..."this ain't what I wanted to hear" LOL..

This is a lesson learned, the hard way. I guess the Lowe's person knew as much as I did which was nothing.

I know to use sanded grout next time. thanks gk

Old 07-13-09, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny
Non sanded grout shrinks as it cures. Thats why its not recommended for larger grout joints. It'll probably shrink and crack a little more over the next week or so. You can wait to see what it looks like after its fully cured. If the cracks are pronounced, you may be able to force some fresh non sanded grout into them. You may have to do it over with sanded grout.
Since the only time I could work on this would be this weekend I guess we will see what it looks like Saturday. If need be I may take your suggestion and if that fails a "roto zip" and a grout bit will be in order. ...What a mistake...Thanks for the advice ...George

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: