Rounding over slate tile edge?

Old 07-13-09, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rounding over slate tile edge?

Our subfloor and finished wood floor are the same height. So, with the slate in the kitchen, where the tile abuts the wood floor, there will be a height difference. I have bullnose tiles for the edge, but neither the wife nor I like them since they're all the same size and don't match the size and shape of the rest of the slate.....

I have a router table and heavy-duty router. Can I use a rounding-over bit and put my own rounded edge on the slate or does this have to be done with water like a wet saw? I've only got to cut about 10 feet of rounded edges, so if it eats a router bit or 2 that's ok, as long as I can get really good results...

OR, am I better using one of the strips - preferrably wood to make the transition between the stone and the wood floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-09, 09:13 AM
Received 25 Votes on 23 Posts
Any regular router bit wouldn't handle it. A diamond faced bit would, but they are pricey. Just search on Diamond Router Bits.
Here is just one:
Q4 Diamond Router Bits :: Concrete Countertop Specialties

If you want to freehand it, there are diamond faced blades and cups that would do the job.

Bud

Old 07-13-09, 08:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yee gads, that IS pricey for cutting a half dozen tiles.......

OK, maybe better using some kind of transition strip...

I drilled holes in the slate using a regular hole saw - didn't even dull the thing, so I figured surely a carbide bit on a router should be able to do the job... I may try it anyway on a scrap piece just to see what happens...