Ditra "Movement Joints" - necessary for residential application?

Old 07-27-09, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ditra "Movement Joints" - necessary for residential application?

Hello!

Am about to embark on a porcelain tile install on my main floor entrance hall / kitchen / bath / closets & laundry areas ( about 420 ft2 ).

Reading through the Schulter-Ditra installation manual, it speaks of the need to install "movement joints" in tile installations of significant field size. They go on to state that these movement joints are absolutely essential in the perimeter area, & strongly recommended at any thresholds between tiled rooms or where a hallway meets a tiled room.

I must admit, after discussing ditra with many folks who've used the product, this is the first I've ever heard of, or the need for, movement joints.

Your thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Regards,
DSD

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
My thoughts.

Ditra does not eliminate the need for movement joints. Its an isolation membrane, not a miracle cure for tile installations. The tile over ditra will still need room to move, and if there is no where for the tile to go, it'll tent.

Most times, if you don't follow the manufacturers instructions, you will be sorry you didnt.

Old 07-27-09, 05:38 PM
Thanks H.J.!

Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
My thoughts.

Ditra does not eliminate the need for movement joints. Its an isolation membrane, not a miracle cure for tile installations. The tile over ditra will still need room to move, and if there is no where for the tile to go, it'll tent.

Most times, if you don't follow the manufacturers instructions, you will be sorry you didnt.

O.K. - I hear you. Have you ever installed these movement joints? I've got a note into Schulter asking for clarification as I found their manual to be lacking in specific info. on this aspect of the system. Still, I'd like to hear from someone whose actually done it.

DSD

Old 07-27-09, 06:14 PM
I'm assuming your installing ditra over a wood framed floor, yes. If so, these movement joints are nothing more than caulked joints in place of grout joints. You use a color matched caulk in place of grout. All grout manufacturers make color matched caulk to match their grout colors for this purpose.

Old 07-27-09, 06:39 PM
Hmmm....

Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
I'm assuming your installing ditra over a wood framed floor, yes. If so, these movement joints are nothing more than caulked joints in place of grout joints. You use a color matched caulk in place of grout. All grout manufacturers make color matched caulk to match their grout colors for this purpose.
That doesn't seem to be what the Schluter folks are saying H.-J. They are talking about products ( "Schluter-Systems prefabricated movement joint profiles" ) or materials ( "sill seal" ). I must assume that the warranty would be void if the recommended products &/or materials are not incorporated in the installation.

Like I said - no one I know seems to be using any of this stuff.

DSD

Old 07-28-09, 05:38 AM
Call them and ask them ask them if you have to use their products. While they sell all kinds of fancy stuff, I don't believe you are required to do so.

Movement joints are not a Schluter thing. They are required by TCNA. Caulk has been used as a soft joint for many many years. My opinion, Schluter has products that can be used as well. If I'm wrong about that, you'll let me know.