12" porcelain tile - wrong size trowel?

Old 07-27-09, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
12" porcelain tile - wrong size trowel?

I am installing a tile floor in my new bathroom (12" porcelain on top of hardibacker cement board), and used a 1/4" by 3/16" V-trowel for the first section of tile i layed down. I did put a layer of thin-set on the back of each tile as well (and the thinset was mixed with the additive), but am fearful that using the wrong trowel is going to screw up this job. Just looking for opinions on what to do... should I leave it and do the rest of the job with a 1/4x1/4? should i do the entire job with 1/4x3/16 for consistency? Should I rip up all the tile I just layed down and start over? Any feedback is appreciated... thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 02:31 PM
anyone have a response or suggestion who isn't trying to sell something?

Old 07-27-09, 04:02 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You definitely have a problem. You cannot be achieving full coverage under the tile with that size v notch trowel. Its likely that you will have issues going forward with the tile not properly bonding to the substrate. Remove the tile while you still can do it easily. You can try a 1/4" square notch trowel. Pull up a tile after you set it to see if you are achieving 100% coverage on the back of the tile. If you are not, go up to a 1/4" x 3/8" notch trowel. Depending on the pattern on the back of the tile and how flat the floor is or isnt, its often the case that you will need the bigger trowel.

Old 07-27-09, 07:35 PM
Question

i guess i was hoping that spreading the thinset on the back of the tiles might have made up for the difference in thickness that i lost by using the small trowel. not a chance?

when you say "remove the tiles while you can still do so easily" i'm curious what the "easy" process is? everything i've looked up online says that you will break a lot of tiles during the process, and then have to scrape scrape scrape.

is it completely ridiculous for me to consider leaving the ones already done as is, and if they ever crack or the grout lines crack, then replacing them one by one? i'm such a shmuck, i had a 1/4 x 3/8 trowel in my basement, and just grabbed the wrong one. oy!

Old 07-27-09, 07:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I think HJ was thinking you just installed them and they are still curing. If it's been more then a day or two, it will not be pretty taking them up.

Old 07-28-09, 06:52 AM
at the time of the original posting it had been about 18 hours... now we're looking at a day and a half. i'm guessing the worst that can happen is months (or years?) down the road as a tile fails, it will come loose and/or crack, and i can just scrape, clean, set and grout the replacement tile. right?

Old 07-28-09, 07:45 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Thats one way of looking at it. Make sure that you have enough replacement tiles for the future. Tile is discontinued by manufacturers on a regular basis so you may not be able to get the same tile in the future. I hope things work out ok for you on this.

Old 07-28-09, 10:07 AM
thanks... i guess i'll just hope for the best :-/