Tiling in shower help

Old 07-27-09, 02:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling in shower help

I am planning to put ceramic tile in my bath shower. Already did the floor. Here is where I need advice. I have a window that is not exactly centered on the outside wall of the shower. One side has 12 inches and the other 18 inches from the wood trim around the window. I figured that I would just use 6 by 6 tiles. Ok so that being said, what should I do about the wood trim around the window? Remove it or leave it? The top of the window and trim are at least a 12 inches above the top of my existing shower surround. I am open to any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-09, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Removing the trim would be best. Wood in a shower isnt a good idea. You'll also want to make sure that the area around the window and the window itself are entirely waterproof.

Old 07-27-09, 07:11 PM
what kind of window is it ?

Old 07-28-09, 08:45 PM
Johnny,

I can see where removing the trim would be a good idea except the height of the window concernes me. Right now I have a tub surround and the window and trim are at least a foot above that. Removing the wood trim would seem to dictate that I have to take the tile beyond the height of the window which would leave me about a foot short of the ceiling.

As far as the wood trim, Its been waterproofed and painted with oil based paint, more than once, and we dry it of as soon as we are done taking a shower to try and keep moisture to a minimum. The window is an old wooden type, not vinyl. Would I need to remove the side sashes and the stool as well? Thanks for your help

Old 07-29-09, 07:22 AM
Is this a small window that is entirely above the surround or is it part in the surround and part above the surround?

Old 07-29-09, 05:31 PM
Johnny, its a large window. The actual window size is 45 high by 24 wide. The height of all trim is 53 inches and 43 of that is in the surround area leaving me 10 inches above the surround top edge.

Caesar :: BathWin picture by sansert1966 - Photobucket

Old 07-30-09, 12:40 PM
Yow, how did you keep water off that window while using the shower? Just a shower curtain? Were there no water prolems?

Old 07-31-09, 11:16 AM
well as I said, I waterproofed it when I first moved in and do occasionally paint it with fresh oil base paint. The blinds keep water off the windows and we dry off the blinds and woodwork as soon as we are finished showering. I replaced a side sash when I first moved here that has some damage to it but the people before me didnt even have a shower. No problems after 16 years so far